AT&T versus (Bright House) cable??

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tommcginnis, Aug 25, 2016.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

In Indianapolis, Bright House has a fairly good reputation.
    AT&T, on the other hand, has been in implacable pack of monopoly-sucking idiots.

I've been with Bright House for roughly 10 years, this go-round, but they have upped their prices, and I think it's worth a bit of shopping.

But in the Internet Age, it has become fashionable to make your pricing menu as byzantine and inscrutable as possible, lest the consumer actually receive an accurate price signal and act accordingly.

Thus, I's a'shopping.

Right now, with a quasi-land-line phone (I know. So old fashioned.), my 50Mbps cable signal costs $112/month.

If I drop to 25Mbps, it's $92/month.

I figure the local bill like this:
    Phone: $35
    25Mbps: $57
    --------------------
    $92

50Mbps
    upgrade $20
    --------------------
    $112

I need a land-line phone, I don't stream much, the biggest draw on transmission resources are advertisements packed onto websites. (I trade via IB's TWS, which even on a hot day (of 100-200 trades) does not take much speed beyond the 25Mbps. (Let's be real.))

Any suggestions from AT&T folk? Or others??

2. just21

just21

Call them up and ask for a deal.

3. kmiklas

kmiklas

What about cable? Don't you have Comcast/Xfinity in your area?

Also Verizon. Fiber or DSL?

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It's weird you mentioned this today because I had just called Brighthouse right before your thread and completely cancelled my cable TV service. I did keep their Internet service though because it's been very reliable. I've got their Lightning 200Mbps internet service, which is $112 per month all-in.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Just curious.... you do 100 to 200 trades per day and you are shopping to save $20/month on cable?
    Hmph. You must be doing some bad trades... or you are one of those billionaires that drive a 25 year old F-150. ;)

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Thanks for all the replies!
    --Ask for a deal: "always" -- but they have always been stingy in the past.
    -- BrightHouse IS cable -- hence, 55mbps.
    -- Verizon IS AT&T -- (can you imagine so peeing on your own *legendary* brand, that you had to "borrow" another from a merger?? That's embarrassing.)
    -- "Lightning200Mbps" $112 ALL IN. And I'm doing phone + 50Mpbs for the same $$$??? THAT'S AN EYE-OPENER....
    -- AND YEAH!! I'm lookin' to save $20/month on cable!! (Think of it as $240/year. Or $2400/decade, at 0% interest.) But specifically, I wish I could *afford* a 25yo F150. ("Better trading, Thomas!") Yeah yeah yeah.....

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I just got my bill from Brighthouse today and I didn't realize that I had initially put down a $350 deposit 10 years ago when I first set up my cable subscription. So now that I cancelled my cable and gave the equipment back, they credited that amount back to me on the statement so it's looking like my internet bill will be zero for the next 3 months or so. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    tommcginnis likes this.