Asus Zenscreen as 2nd screen for laptop or similar

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sprout, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Sprout

Sprout

I find myself in situations where I'm not at my trading station for changes of pace.
    Recently ran into someone at t a coffeeshop that had one of these with their laptop.

Curious what features/specs I should have an eye out for. I have both win and macOS laptops.

Looking at MB165B on the low end and the prices seem to range up $$$

2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Definitely check the performance.

Often the screens have a real world performance that is far below a normal screen.

• I had one that you could see the mouse move as tracers.
    • Another one had to be set so low brightness in order to work for more than 20 minutes, that I could not really see the charts.
    • Others had software drivers required that were buggy wrt power saving mode and sleep mode.
    • Another the screen was not good for looking at any length of time without getting eye strain.
    • Aspect ratios can be non standard and the OS might have font scaling issue.
    • check the cable power requirements. While good not to have a separate brick, you can only draw so much juice with some cables.

The last one I considered was the Asus ProArt, but that is very expensive and seemed overkill for charts. But at least the quality should be good for charts.

Best of luck. I gave up.

zdreg and Sprout like this.
  3. DaveV

DaveV

I use a Cocopar 17.3 Inch Portable Monitor. I paid $350 but it now listed for $399 on Amazon. Outstanding picture, the 17.3 is much more readable than the usual 15 inch portable monitor, and it runs off USB-C power so I only need one multi-port Anker power adapter to power all my travel devices.

Sprout and Bad_Badness like this.
  4. mervyn

mervyn

I have one. It is simple plug, good enough for web browsing and charting. The resolution is limited to 1080p on mine.

Sprout likes this.