Are Your S/R Lines Better Than Random?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Savoy, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Savoy

Savoy

What are the lesson(s) you get out of this video?

Seems like he is pointing out the fact that you have really be able to filter market noise, and focus on price action that may actually be saying important information....

What are your guy's thoughts?

2. VPhantom

VPhantom

I really like Grimes' blend of discretion and thorough mathematical common sense. That video's somewhat famous. My take-away from that is that few (not zero) lines hold actionable information and that in the end they're just hints to help the trader execute an idea he already has.

Most importantly, it makes a case for me that if price happens to bounce off one of (too many) lines, especially something derived like a "fib", it's not a convincing argument for a trend reversal, so I should be patient and think "pullback". An attempt to break through a recent high/low which then fails, however...

3. romik

romik

Random, unless he was familiar with the stock's price action. It has to be a 'triple blind test' of sort, take his wife, blind fold her and tell her to click mouse, then it would be true random.

4. I think I've seen a Lifetime movie that started this way.

romik likes this.
  5. komorebi

komorebi

Draw horizontal lines somewhat randomly on a chart and...

there are periods where price:
    1. does not cross or touch a line;
    2. crosses a line seemingly without interaction;
    3. seemingly interacts with or around a line.
    Observing that price reactions sometimes correspond (or almost correspond) with randomly drawn levels says nothing about the validity of properly drawn S/R levels.

And then at the end of video, this suggestion:

"repeat this exercise... have a friend draw the lines... this is worth a lot of your focus and attention"

Disagree.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Draw some random lines onto a chart.......

After the Fact you'll only see where the random lines worked and price reversed, your brain will ignore the lines which price went straight through.

Live ofcourse, no way to know which will bounce or reverse so sadly trading of S/R lines is kinda pointless.

Properly drawn, might at times slightly out perform randomly drawn, but not by much, at times it will also under perform so likely comes out pretty much the same.

7. Redneck

Redneck

Are Your S/R Lines Better Than Random?

Way better..., and that video is B/S (imo of course)

All but one line came off as random

None of the discussion involved what was important

Reminds me of the adage - draw enough lines.., something is bound to work

But then..., what the hell do I know anyway

RN

8. Savoy

Savoy

so, you think the important part is that you can't rely on just SR basically...

9. SonB

SonB

Thank you Savoy for some interesting thought & clear video!

I tried for my self just doing 1 day at a time with just 2-4 lines & kept on repeating & found it very intriguing. So much so I am going to forward demo as a side project this week.

It just lifts the burdon of trying to get right where to choose & how to draw S&R lines. The conventional wisdom of learning, studying & practicing for a long time will in most cases improve ones skill may just be an illusion. Instead this way of knowing ahead of time that the lines have no reason/past value/significance frees the mind to focus on the present, the flow, the intent.

In the same way as using the flipping of a coin to determine entry direction focuses the trader to concentrate on m/m skills.

Liberating

10. Redneck

Redneck

I find it curious what.., and how - you derived what it is..., I think - but not curious enough to ask

======================

Rely on just S&R for what

predicting
    low risk entries
    contextualizing PA
    measuring / gauging
    breach of which would an invalidation of a signal / trade breaking down
    respect of which would be a trade-able signal
    breach of which would also be a trade-able signal
    changing a flat tire
    feeding the dog
    decorating the Christmas tree (which I have yet to do)
    the price of tea in china perhaps

S&R - whether it a specific price..., or range - exist

They were made intentionally..., they exist intentionally..., they are used intentionally..., they cease intentionally..., they are reverted to the other - intentionally

To ignore them would be myopic

=================

Many whatevers are intentionally made to appear as S or R

There's a vast difference in the real ones

The real ones can be leaned on..., the orchestrated ones are traps

RN

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    #10     Dec 13, 2015