Are you living the "good life" with $10 million?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Jan 2, 2009.

1. i would not mind living here in hoboken

(www.hobokenhotelandresidences.com

#41     Jan 6, 2009
  2. #42     Jan 6, 2009
  3. Right on !!

#43     Jan 7, 2009
  4. Actually I rather like the sound of that, although I do not like diet coke so I would probably substitute chilled fresh apple juice instead.

#44     Jan 7, 2009
  5. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

with pizza??? :eek:

To each his own. :)

#45     Jan 7, 2009

6. sad.

#46     Jan 7, 2009
  7. #47     Jan 7, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Yeah, I understand your points. My point is that, first of all, you don't get that money for free. You need to make sacrifices for it, unless you are very lucky. Sacrifices in terms of time, leisure, pursuing what you enjoy (rather than what makes $$$), less time with friends & family, becoming a bit more mercenary and so on. It is extremely debatable whether upgrading from 3 star to 5 star hotels, and a better rental car is worth that sacrifice.

Secondly, even if you get the $$$ after sacrificing, you get used to the extra materialistic stuff. Pretty soon, your enjoyment of a 5 star place is identical to how you enjoyed a 3 star place when you were middle class, or a 1 star when you were a broke 19 year old. So you haven't advanced your happiness one iota. The "lifestyle" is upgraded on paper, but long-term it brings no extra happiness, since you get accustomed to it.

So IMO, you underestimate the downside of pursuing money (it's not free, often it costs you dear in important aspects of your life). And you overestimate the advantages it brings (it doesn't make you more happy to have a better lifestyle). Wanting a "better lifestyle" IMO is not enough reason to seriously pursue money beyond a comfortable middle-class existence.

#48     Jan 7, 2009
  9. Why? Don't you like apple juice?

#49     Jan 8, 2009
  10. TheJay

TheJay

I think almost everyone likes apple juice.

I heard a great quote once regarding money and being happy and what not.

'Money cant buy happiness, but it can absolutely make 80% of the stuff that makes you unhappy, go away'

Stuff like excessive bills and 'needing' to go to a job that eats your soul (but has to happen to pay bills and eat) can make you unhappy.

Money cannot make things like insecurities and a lack of loving people(not with you for money) in your life go away.

#50     Jan 8, 2009