Are e-cigarettes the future of big nicotine or will regular cigarettes continue to dominate?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by kmgilroy89, Apr 16, 2016.

1. E-cigarettes are all the rage in middle and high schools. Data even shows that their use has surpassed traditional tobacco. I'm a pretty boring guy, never smoked or vaped anything in my life, but I don't ignore the trends of society. Will vaping work like Facebook in that younger people are the first to do it and the rest of society will catch on? Or are there elements of traditional cigarettes that make e-cigarettes an inferior product? Obviously the advantages are that they should be less harmful to one's health and they don't stink/stink up everything around. However, there have been numerous cases where they've exploded. That's obviously going to need to be fixed. I'm not sure what stocks to invest in before this industry continues to grow, but I know that the sector has a lot of room for growth with billions of tobacco users worldwide. Perhaps it's best to buy traditional tobacco companies that have the resources to buy and market e-cigarettes and yield a high dividend.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. Xela

Xela

It makes you think the tobacco companies knew what they were doing when they started buying up the e-cigarette manfucturers.

Call me naive, but I can't see "older people" who don't smoke taking up vaping.

3. Vertex

Vertex

I know a guy that would never smoke a cigarette because they are "soooo dangerous" (it helps it you read that with a hipster limp wrist whine). But he happily boils a vial of chemicals and huffs them from that damn vape pen.

I don't get it, but they are the thing right now for some reason.

4. Of course that won't happen in large numbers. I'm thinking of the older population that smokes. Will they trade their traditional cigarettes for e-cigarettes in large numbers or will most of them continue to smoke rather than vape? While cigarette smoking is at record lows, some kids are still using traditional cigarettes when their peers are using e-cigarettes. Will they convert or is there something about traditional cigarettes that will keep that from happening?

Here are the facts:
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/youth_data/tobacco_use/

So there's been a 41% decrease in high school cigarette smoking is just 4 years. Meanwhile, e-cigarette use among high schoolers is now at 16% when it was at 1.5% in 2011. I wonder if they can create and feed addictions as much as traditional cigarettes, if it's a social thing like hookah, or perhaps somewhere in between.

5. I don't think that e-cigarettes will ever surpass nicotine cigarettes. I think every smoker will tell you that.

6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Got my EX 4years ago onto ECigs, when they where new, saved a lot of money, better fitness wise, sadly didn't kill the evil pyschopath :(

They've got to be better than normal cigs, but nothing at all likely better.

I've never tried a real cig, but did try an ecig twice, hot gases hit back of throat no way I could breath it in to check out the nicotine effect, without actual smoke.

You can literally get Ecig liquids in Poundland, last a few days maybe it's affordable unlike real cigs.