Home > Technical Topics > Automated Trading > anyone using Oanda API Vbnet

anyone using Oanda API Vbnet

1. Is anyone using Oanda's API using VB net ?

The sample code only shows how to login to Fxgame and make a marketorder trade.
    The Docs show the namespaces and methods but don't show how to precisely use the methods.

2. If the darn API didn't cost $600/month + $600 initial fee, I'd be all over that. I assume this is what it still costs (as that's what the web site says)?

3. Yes it does cost 600 per month.
    I emailed Oanda yesterday requesting if I can use it for free until I figure it out but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

4. They won't let me use the VBnet for free until I get the hang of it. They charge 600 for the first two months and 600 per month thereafter.
    They give a lot of sample C++ code but their VBnet sample code is pathetic.

5. Oh well. Maybe someday they'll make it a more accesible API for little traders (like me). Long live IB's free API! :)

6. FXCM provides their API free of charge.

7. I have FXCM's beta code. It's all in dot Com not Dot net.
    I'm curious why they wrote it in dot Com.
    They also wrote it in such a way that it appears you have to sit in front of your computer all day. There's clicks to buy and msgboxs etc. They also require 250,000 in your account.
    I wrote to www.dukascopy in Switerland. They have an API written in VBnet but it's only free if you trade 50million per month.
    Oanda's is free if you trade 12 million per month.
    Interactive Broker's API is also in Dot Com not Dot Net. Dot Com is the past and dot Net the future. Why are these broker's sitting in the past ?

8. My guess would be alot of these systems components were designed and implemented way before the .NET hype so can you cant really blame them, .NET a few years ago was a joke.

9. FXCM just created their API Beta version created in Dot Com and not Dot Net. I've been conversing with Realtick and they tell me that with Dot Net you can have quotes streaming into your program and you don't have to request them. It seems with most of these Forex Brokers you have to request your quotes.

10. Sounds like a bad joke compared to IB's free API.

11. The problem with IB is that they charge a commission. It's $5.00 per trade under a certain amount. If you make 100 trades a month that's $500.00 plus the spread. Not much different than Oanda's charge of $600.00.

12. This is ridiculous: You compare apples to oranges !

If you do 100 trades a month you would be totally free of charge at OndA. IIrc its a USD 50 credit per 1 mio traded. If you trade less, why use API?

I think all this is just plain OandA bashing.

Hittfeld

13. Oanda only let's you use their API for free if you trade 12 million per month.

14. That's 6 mio roundtrip you can do it on $10k account easily. If your systems must be automated and you don't have $10k ... you're dreaming up a river... Start saving and get real. Oanda's a great deal.

15. FWIW, not every use of an API is automated trading. I do some of that, but I also have my own custom order entry screen that I generally prefer to most broker's front ends. An API let's me use my own.

16. piphunter

Which Oanda Software are you using. Vb or C++ ?
    Thanks

17. Fair enough. Custom entry screens are not something I figured most people would do. But good luck to you.

I am not using the Oanda API. My strategies do not need to be automated. But it doesn't really matter what language you use it in. It's just an interface so you can send and receive messages to Oanda's servers. It's not a programming language. It's not a strategy development platform. You need to come up with your own trading model and program it. It doesn't really matter if you use Java, C#, C++, VB.NET, Perl, Python, Ruby WHATEVER. If you know how to build software you could hook your trading model system into Oanda's using an interface that communicates through a small API-connected program.

Good luck

18. Here's what I wrote to Oanda API department and here is also the response which made absolutely no sense to me.
    It seems they expect anyone who codes VB to also know C++.
    If anyone understands this email response please explain it to me. I sent them another email but haven't received a reply.

On 30-Jan-06, at 12:01 PM, bpatrick wrote:

There were many examples for C++ but there was only one sample module for Vbnet and that just showed how to login to fxgame and make a marketorder trade.
    It didn't show how to get quotes or make limitorder trades or sell etc. The docs showed the namespaces and methods but there are no examples.

Hi Bob,

You are right that there only a couple of "VB" examples, but there should be several C++ samples
    included. Our VB implementation is a wrapper of our C++ distribution, and as such the methodology
    of using the API is consistent between the two.

The VB samples only illustrate how to call a few of the native C++ methods, and once you understand
    how that is supposed to work, you can use a similar method to invoke the other methods (as shown in
    our C++ samples).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Dan

19. It makes perfect sense to me. But I've been doing software development for 5+ (10?) years...

Essentially the calls through VB.NET or C++ are nearly identical except for syntax in calling a method. That's because underneath the VB.NET API class is the exact same C++ class that C++ developers are using. It's just a wrapper interface to provide managed .NET access.

I'm happy to help where I can but what exactly are you trying to do and what can I help you with??

20. Doesn't this imply that you need to know C++
    If you look at the Docs for VBnet the Properties and Methods aren't fully written out. It seems you have to guess how to write the Properties and Methods. One thing I like about IB is that they let you use their API for free using their demo version until you get the hang of it. Oanda won't do that.

21. Their Java API looks simple enough, and is my choice hands down. But I'm not a C++/VB type, so you may be on the right track.

Does this imply that you are considering purchasing their API? I'd like to know if anyone has bought it yet, and how their doing. I'm on the verge of purchasing it myself.

22. I know VB6 preety well but I'm rather new to VB net. I would like to use the OANDA API but I want to make sure I can use it before I start shelling out money. Go to fxtrade.oanda.com and click on the API and look at the docs for VB net. When I look at them it seems like something is missing. The Properties and methods aren't fully writtnen out. The implication I get from the email from Oanda is that I need to know C++ in order to code Vb.

23. Oanda's existing interface is Java based, so it makes sense that their best API port is in Java.

Would an ASCII based socket level interface be useful? I don't know how hard networking is in the microsoft languages.

I would consider writing such an interface if there was interest.

24. Try FxtsAPI - Python based FXCM's FX Trading Station API fom: http://www.apitraderfx.com
    Web pages are under construction, but API, documentation and example can be downloaded...

25. I purchased Oanda's Java API last year. Maybe not ideally commented and with a couple of methods not fully implemented (at this time) so you may have to 'play' with it for a while in order to explore it. But it works perfectly anyway. The support team is responsive and cool. The (Java) API is thread-safe so you can easily use it in a multithreaded program. I used it in my own integrated backtesting/automated trading program (a 28000+ lines project) and didn't have any problem.

However you should be careful to not be (like me) undercapitalized. And even if you do the right transaction volume each month, the initial $600 won't be refunded.

26. It seems that if any brokerage was appropriate for an under capitalized account it would be Oanda, since you can trade $1 if you want.

What problems did you run into due to insufficient capital?

Am I inferring correctly that you no longer use the Oanda API? Why stop?

If one does discontinue the service, does he just stop paying the $600/month? What if you want to start up again?

Any help appreciated. I'm nearly ready to embark on this path... my team has finally got their systems working well in simulation. Thanks!

27. If you are undercapitalized to start, having a $7200/year automatic drain on your account because of the API sure isn't going to make things any easier.

28. Good point.

I'll make sure that our system's trading frequencies and dollar volumes jive out to cover the 12M.

29. Which is also interesting if you want to trade a lot of pairs simultaneously and have a special money management/position sizing algorithm to apply, in which case a regular lot may be too big (for your capital).

Mostly incapacity to cover the monthly fee which, added to losses, would have quickly drained my account. Generally, I was undercapitalized but most of all, I had a losing system/strategy. So I had to work on a new system while my program was accumulating data without trading for backtesting (my system was high frequency so the data available from other sources was completely worthless). But then it wasn't discounting the monthly fee by generating transactions volume. So I was basically losing money either by trading or not trading.

As I vitally needed the intraday data, I had to maintain my API access. The only solution was to quickly modify my existing system, backtest/optimize it and increase the leverage to compensate for the lost transaction volume, which was vastly increasing my risk on a known previously losing system. Of course it didn't work : I needed a completely new trading model but didn't have the time to conceive it. Added to the fact that I was trading borrowed money, not mine, this was starting to be a very stressful game !

Yes I no longer use it. I stopped because my trading model was not profitable anyway, but that was not due to the API. But I plan to get back to it when I have refunded my account and have a new model.

Yes but you have to notice them in writing (email) at least one month in advance, so you'll have the monthly fee for the current month plus the last month.

If you terminated the API agreement, I guess you'll have to sign a new one and pay the initial fee of $600 again.

Not to bother you but the only reliable simulation I can think of is the program trading realtime on an FXGame (demo) account for a while. Until you've done that, you can have an unwelcomed surprise, like the one I had (that is, if you're trading high frequency and don't have very reliable high-frequency historical data).

30. That's if you don't trade at all. Otherwise the $600 are discounted at $50 per $1M of transactions which is rather easy to reach if you have a good system and enough capital with regards to trading frequency.

But I agree it's definitely not a good idea to subscribe outside of these conditions.

31. $600 for every two months of testing with FXGame isn't as bad as $600 every month with a losing system.... but the Oanda folks haven't gotten back to me about this aspect. Do you think they would frown on someone cancelling and re-signing up for that purpose?

We'll see how it goes. I've also been burned (in simulation) by systems that take advantage of high frequency anomalies in tick data from various sources.

But, afterall, the more you trade, the more spreads you pay, so the higher the trading frequency - the more accurate your system needs to be overcome the costs... which is a rough road since the higher frequency components tend to more noisy and harder to predict. (EURUSD for sure).

32. I really don't know.. It may work a couple of times but after that they may get angry as you don't really play by their rules.

But the higher the frequency, the faster you know if your system is profitable or not. And if you trade on a large number of currencies (say 15 tradable currencies on Oanda), the lesser your drawdown, as the result of (HF) trades among these will be more or less unrelated. Not speaking of larger potential profits. All in all certainly worth the effort.