Anyone tried nootropics or similar for better focus and work endurance?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Laissez Faire, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I've heard a bit about so called nootropics over the years, but I have not really tested any for the purpose I'm currently interested in. I find myself working really long hours lately. I always put in the hours, but find that the quality of my hours deterioriate as time goes by.

To adress that, I've been curious to try some supplements to better help me sustain focus through these long work sessions.

Diet, healthy eating habits and working out is already well covered, so don't worry about that. I could improve sleep though. In fact, I may be curious to test melatonin and see if it can improve my sleep quality.

Googling this stuff typically turns up sponsored articles, but I found this one that seemed interesting and fairly balanced.

It seems like something as basic as Caffeine + Theanine can be worthwhile.

In terms of productivity, Modafinil and Adrafinil seems to be recommended. I may be able to get Adrafinil.

Might start out testing Caffeine + Theanine as this is easy for me to get.

Thanks in advance for any input on the subject.

Regards.

luisHK likes this.
  2. I have now obtained L-theanine and tried the first dosage earlier today with a cup of Joe. Did not notice anything yet. Read some reports stating that it was a drug that can take a few days and even weeks for the effect to kick in.

I'm also chewing nicotine gum these days and see it's classified by some as a nootropic. This is a habit I picked up a few years ago - using it then as an apetite surpressant when losing weight.

There are some claims that nicotine can have positive cognitive effects including increased focus. Personally, I have not noticed any of these. If anything, I feel it might even make me slightly more anxious/increase resting rate. It does work as an apetite surpressant though.

3. easymon1

easymon1

Laissez Faire likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

There are a bunch of different supplements. Go on Reddit and search in the r/Supplements subreddit for "mental focus" or something similar. The other sub for you is:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/

A thread for you:

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Here is another link:

Mind you, some of these supplements will give you very vivid dreams. (better oxygen supply, I guess) Some of it I had to stop taking because 5 times a week my dreams were like a James Bond movie, and it was just overwhelming.

One of the suggestions was cutting carbs below 20g daily. Too much sugar and carbs can lead to mental sluggishness.

6. These:

B2AE0E23-AA5A-4F38-BFF6-8EE4911AFB94.jpeg

7. Sig

Sig

Amphetamines are scientifically proven to do this, they're actually issued to military pilots. Closely related is methylphenidate otherwise known as Adderall. If you're OK purposely setting out to use one of the most addictive drugs out there (nicotine), why not use a drug purposely made for the application that's been proven to work and whose side effects are known?

Alternately, might be worth taking a look at priorities and if putting yourself in a position working hours that continuously require chemical assistance to maintain is really worth it in the grand scheme of life? Absent my family starving I can't think of a situation that would warrant that, and even then it would only be a means to the end of eliminating the need for such extreme measures as soon as possible.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  8. easymon1

easymon1

The Big List of Nootropics
    https://nootropicsexpert.com/nootropics-list/
    "... to glutathione which reduces free radicals in your brain."
    electron donor

GLUTATHIONE
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-717/glutathione
    Glutathione is involved in many processes in the body, including tissue building and repair, making chemicals and proteins needed in the body, and for the immune system.

Why are CoQ10, NAC and Glutathione Important Antioxidants? ~ Video
    "Glutathione... is the most powerful antioxidant in the body, which protects you from free radical damage. It literally protects your DNA. It is helpful for DNA repair. It is made of three amino acids, cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine. Glutathione is extremely important to the liver for helping with detoxification."
    https://yourlongevityblueprint.com/why-are-coq10-nac-and-glutathione-important-antioxidants/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. Which were you taking yourself, Pekelo? Did you feel any effects from it?

Regarding vivid dreams - ZMA (zinc, magnesium and B12 complex) has that effect on me and most others I talked to.

As for the L-theanine, I've been using it a bit, but it's hard to say if I notice any effects from it. Maybe it's slightly calming? Hard to say.

I was only able to obtain pure powder and it's a pain to dose properly. So might have to obtain pills if I want to be more scientific about it.

#10     Feb 6, 2020