Anyone tried Finnhub.io ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AndyM, Sep 29, 2019.

1. AndyM

AndyM

So Yahoo api is now gone. Alpha vantage only gives us 5 free calls a minute. I came across this site https://finnhub.io/ recently and they indeed let us use the API for free with the limit of 60 calls per minute. Looks like they provide a lot more data than alpha vantage as well.

Anyone tried them can let me know how is the quality of the data ? Thanks

2. gaussian

gaussian

Stop looking for free data and cough up money for good data. Quandl is dirt cheap and will always be there. 5 year packages start at around $40/mo which is a steal. CSI data is marginally cheaper per year but you have to pay extra for an API and if you trade futures you have to have faith in their ability to roll contracts correctly.

An alternative is to sign up for Interactive Brokers and hook into their API. I've written an entire python architecture around their (my opinion) very poor implementation of a RPC system.

If you're looking for tick data you WILL want a paid source and DTN iQFeed is one of the best.

apdxyk, jharmon, jys78 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

Yo, dudes talking here about stuff I (just) randomly know or heard of...

Might you answer me one question?!
    - If volume (tick) data is so important, for trading stocks, indices (futures) and so on...
    how can you make sure to get some real forex data?!
    It is not listed at any central exchange market.

4. AndyM

AndyM

hi guys, I don't need tick data, only OHLC for stocks and crypto. That's why I'm looking for free API. I understand that tick data should be purchased for a good reason but it's not something I need in this case.

If you guys don't have any experience with this site, no worry.And I think they get Forex data from retail brokers, not future exchange.

5. gaussian

gaussian

Spot forex (as opposed to forex futures) are decentralized. It is one of the perks of the spot market. Your data is only as good as your broker's.

Fx-Game likes this.
  6. Fx-Game

Fx-Game