Anyone trade FCOJ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Overnight, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

I don't have ICE access so can't try, but am curious if any out there are going long in anticipation of possible impact from hurricane Irma.

vanzandt likes this.
  2. Playing OJ is a fundamental speculation. Nobody knows for sure what to do about it, but if you've a mind to play... better to get your position on sooner than later. Price likely to go up the closer Irma gets to Florida.

I remember years ago when OJ got into a weather market and went something like 10-15 days of locked limit up. There were pictures of pit traders sitting around reading the paper... with total daily volume of 10-15 contracts... and even some days of zero contracts. If you weren't on before that run started, you couldn't get on. (And of course if you were short, you couldn't get off either.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Actually, it looks like people do know what to do about it.

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/intraday/OJ/B7

4. Handle123

Handle123

I been short OJ since late 2016, but bought calls in morning to hedge open profits, more activity in options it seems than normal. Most likely buy the rumor and sell the facts, but never know.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Rumor is there's a Cat 5 hurricane bearing down on the nation's orange groves. :D

tommcginnis and Overnight like this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Vanz, surely...The nation's largest orange juice groves can survive a Cat 5. Those are hearty fruit trees. Short OJ NOW! Haha! (That was sarcasm, for those less-astute readers out there. Do NOT short OJ!)

Now sugar cane on the other hand...Those are wimpy stalks. Go long in sugar just out of pity for the weak-willed plants.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Looks like a good play. Go long Nov 2017 OJ contracts, dudes. The storm track smells like a whopper for FL.

TraDaToR likes this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yesterdays news now.

9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

If you are looking for fundamental news play in the commodity space, here is an other one. I just shorted Cotton Dec17/Mar18 @ 1.85 based on yesterday crop conditions. It seems the rally was a late response to Harvey crop damage whereas the good/excellent condition has actually improved 1 point since last week...

#10     Sep 5, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.