Anyone else running NT7 and NT8 at same time with one IB account?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by NGtrader, Dec 6, 2018.

1. NGtrader

NGtrader

Hi,

My partner and I are attempting to run NT7 and NT8 at the same time because we have algos that only work for one platform and not the other. We are using IBC (latest version of IB Controller) to keep the account connected in spite of IB's daily login requirement.

We are able to run either NT7 or NT8 individually with IBC with no big issues. Unfortunately yesterday when I tried to run both NT7 and NT8 and the issue is that since both platforms automatically try to sign into TWS or Gateway, it causes one of them to close and we lose connection with IB on one of the platforms.

I don't know if there is a way around this. If anyone has found a way please let me know.

2. RedDuke

RedDuke

I did not know that NT8 and NT7 can run at the same time. But yes you can not connect to IB with the same account. Just create a different account and try connecting. Probably will not work.

NGtrader likes this.
  3. NGtrader

NGtrader

Thanks, are you talking about creating another account with separate funds? I am currently using a secondary login for that account because it belongs to my partner who has the master login. What about using a third login? Could that possibly work?

4. RedDuke

RedDuke

I never tried it, but this is exactly what I am suggesting.

NGtrader likes this.
  5. traider

traider

You need to change the client id in NT 7 and NT 8 to be different under account configuration.

6. NGtrader

NGtrader

Yes that is one of the first things we did, does not work because IB doesn't allow two instances of TWS to run on the same IB account. We followed all the instructions given by IB.

What we ended up doing was getting another login for the same account. NT7 will use one login and password, start up TWS and then NT8 will use the new login and password. Also had to use two different port numbers. Will get it set up today.

7. traider

traider

if it's the same account you don't need to run 2 TWS. It will just slow the machine down...

8. NGtrader

NGtrader

NT7 and NT8 both need a separate instance of TWS to connect, don't know how you can get both to connect to one TWS. Also running IBC as well to keep the IB connection logged in.

9. traider

traider

TWS is written like a server application, multiple clients can connect to it...
    Each NT is just a client instance.

10. NGtrader

NGtrader

Have you been able to set up NT7 and NT8 to one instance of TWS? I was on skype with NT tech support who checked my settings and said what I wanted to do was not possible.

#10     Dec 8, 2018