Any free website or software for average stock price?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hajimow, Sep 28, 2007.

1. hajimow

hajimow

I am looking for a website or a free software tool that shows me the average daily price for stocks. For example if 1000 shares were traded in the day and 900 were traded at 10 and the last 100 were traded at 11 and closed at 11. I want the website or software to show 10.1 as the average. Showing the average price during the day would be awesome. I don't care that much for extended hours.
    If there is no free one, do you know any paid one and the price?

2. TOM134

TOM134

hajimow,

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/vwapNotice.php?ib_entity=llc

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/download/salesPDFs/PDF0653_VWAP_Highlights.pdf

...."Important Information Regarding VWAP Trading Through Interactive Brokers
    The purpose of this notice is to advise you of the practical consequences of executing transactions with Interactive Brokers on the VWAP pricing basis offered by IB. By agreeing to execute a large transaction pursuant to IB's VWAP average price arrangement, your transaction will be executed after the close of trading at the average price for the security during the reference period, as calculated by Bloomberg. At the end of the trading day, a single, average price for the entire block will be reported to you. In many circumstances, by executing the transaction in this manner the overall transaction price will be more favorable to you. Please bear in mind, however, that the average price reported to you on the relevant confirmation may not be reflective of the actual trading level of the security at any point during the trading day, but rather reflects an average price based upon transactions effected during the reference period, as calculated by Bloomberg.

In average price transactions IB, as agent, will generally forward the transactions for execution to its affiliate, Timber Hill LLC, which will act as principal in the transaction. Customers entering VWAP orders agree to accept the VWAP price for the reference period as calculated by Bloomberg. IB has no control over the methodology used by Bloomberg to calculate VWAP prices and does not warrant the accuracy of the Bloomberg prices....."

I hope this helps.

Tom

3. hajimow

hajimow

Thanks Tom,

I have an IB account and I was aware that I can put an order to buy at open, close, average ,.... but I just want to know the average price and I don't want to necessarily trade on it. Can I get that info from my IB account?

4. cvds16

cvds16

I don't know if IB has it, but you could get something close to it by linking IB-data to quotetracker and then getting VWAP as an indicator

5. TOM134

TOM134

hajimow,

Maybe the closest you'll get to what you're seeking is anyone of the 'moving average' indicators.

If you have real time streaming charts (e.g.: Quote Tracker) the Avg Price indicator provides this data almost instantaneously.

I hope this helps.

Tom

6. hajimow

hajimow

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I have Quotetracker but I don't see average price as one of the indicators. Is that indicator called "average price"?

7. cvds16

cvds16

VWAP

8. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Exactly... he is searching for Volume Weighted Average Price.... this is a common indicator offered by a number of intra-day data services.