Any free charting software better than EclipseTrader?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ET873, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ET873

ET873

I have been playing around with Eclipse Trader. I would like to do one very simple thing and that is draw horizontal support / resistance and pivot levels on the weekly or monthly chart, then zoom into the daily chart and still be able to see the levels that I drew in the weekly or monthly chart. So kinda like Google Finance's chart, but with technical indicators and the ability to draw horizontal lines.

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

I use paid software but I just wanted to note: I am pretty sure the Eclipse Trader project has been abandoned. Too bad, Eclipse is a great development platform. Multi-OS too.

3. ET873

ET873

There has not been a new release in a long time. Maybe it was abandoned. I looked at the source code and found it difficult to follow. It's built on TA-LIB which I also find very difficult to understand. Guess I will have to build my own charting software.

4. I posted problems with my charting in with IB last week, and afew people recommeded quote tracker
    I downloaded it and it works fine
    its free too-(gives you data 6 months back)

5. ET873

ET873

Can you draw a line in QuoteTrader in one time period, then change to another time period on the same stock and keep the line? In other words, can you draw a horizontal line and have it stay put when you change time periods?

6. yes you can, but you only have 2 days of data on the free version
    so you can change bet. a 2 day chart and 2 hour chart and your trend lines will still be there
    but anything more than 2 days you'll have to pay for, i think its someting like 60 bucks the whole year.
    you also have a historical chart that goes back 6 months, but nothing in between.

7. ET873

ET873

Sounds good, I will check it out. I could make my own software, but I don't have the time right now and I am just trying to evaluate trading for as little as possible before I invest more money into the hobby / lifestyle. It might be the case that I am horrible at it.