AMZN Challenges Apple Music With Launch of Amazon Music Unlimited

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by felixbocharov, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jamie J.

Jamie J.

Amazon is everywhere. And what it does makes the stock stronger and in its favor.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The issue I have with Amazon getting into all these ancillary businesses is that their products just aren't as good as the main competitors in the space.
    • Their Fire TV sucks compared to a Roku box.
    • Their streaming video catalog is nothing compared to Netflix.
    • Their new unlimited music only has a fraction of the songs that Spotify has.
    • Their Fire tablets and phones aren't even in the same league quality-wise as Samsung or Apple.
    Don't get me wrong. I love Amazon and use it all the time for purchasing products made by other companies, but I wish they would just stick to what they are good at instead of trying to create their own products and services in super competitive areas.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. just21

just21

I really like the Fire TV as you can side load Kodi from your phone to the Fire and then put a "build" on top of it. Better than an Nvidia Shield tv that cost twice as much but was let down by poor wifi and the Fire TV stick which did not have enough memory for a full kodi build. Google kodi builds for more information. The new Fire 8 tablet is superb for $90. It has 12 hour battery life.

4. $SPY lots of gaps to be filled, could get ugly next few days. Puts on SPY and $AMZN in place

5. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

I was going to post in similar vain, but I see Baron got there first ! :(

The saying "Jack of all trades, Master of none" comes to mind.

Its a pattern you see regrettably all to frequently in business. A business is doing well at what it does. The business then goes public on the markets. The C-suite, keen to see the value of their share options rise then gets a visit from our old friends the Seven Deadly Sins. They start getting ideas above their stations. "Ambition" turns into "Greed".

Amazon at $1k is only going to be inevitable if they do a good job of their diversification. Sure they've become good at shipping boxes from warehouses, and their cloud stuff could be seen as a natural extension of the IT systems needed to support their own business. But tv/video/music/groceries/other-random-idea-of-the-day .... I'm not too sure, and as Baron pointed out, they know they're up against tough and well-funded competition, and yet they only come up with half-hearted products in those areas.

If I were in Bozo's shoes, I would stick to logistics, warehouses and cloud, and I would plough my R&D money into making darn sure we do those better than anyone else on the planet. For a bit of extra money I could then look at licensing out our IP (or providing white-label outsourcing to others).

Baron likes this.
  6. yeah, that's kinda crappy, but I think that's their strategy. They try to reach less advanced users and then expand.

7. vanzandt

vanzandt