American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China,

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bbpp, Aug 23, 2019.

1. bbpp

bbpp

Does Trump have authority to do so?

2. S2007S

S2007S

• President Donald Trump on Friday said he was ordering “our great American companies” to “immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA.”
    • Trump also said he was ordering all U.S. postal carriers, including FedEx, Amazon, UPS and United States Post Office, “to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!).”
    • The White House did not immediately respond when asked if the announcement, delivered in a four-part Twitter thread Friday morning, constituted an official order from the president.

VPhantom and tommcginnis like this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

No. That's what is so maddening about this man. Keep an eye out in the media for references to Hitler soon. Lol!

SunTrader, comagnum and tommcginnis like this.
  4. bbpp

bbpp

I immediately long gold and euro when I saw trump's tweet, but have been hesitate to add position because I don't believe Trump can do this.

5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'm still cracking up about the "Who's the biggest threat to the U.S. economy -- Powell or Xi?" tweet from the guy who apparently can't look into a mirror and see himself.
    Ohhhhhhhmy gawddddd.

Just imagine him looking at the market reaction -- "Ohhhhh, Irony! OH, BITTER Irony!!!"

[​IMG]

6. dozu888

dozu888

You people. Get out of TDS. not healthy lol.

jl1575 and smallfil like this.
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Righhhhhtttttt

Making products here in the US, never never Neverrrrrrr going to happen. Maybe a few select companies may opt in but the masses WILL NOT!!!!
    It Should have never happened to begin with decades ago, it's too late, no turning back. Companies are used to paying cheap labor for huge profit margins. You would see price of goods surge if made here in the US! Sneakers that already cost $100-$200 would be north of $300+ everything from clothes to electronics would double or triple in price. This trade war is getting a bit out of control, China is winning it and trump knows that's why he is making these statements to retaliate. Like I said if markets collapse he will eliminate all trade talks but that wouldn't happen until the markets have already lost 25%++

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  8. bbpp

bbpp

He should ask himself why his tweets always caused equity market to collapse.

VPhantom, Ryan81 and tommcginnis like this.
  9. S2007S

S2007S

He can't do it....no need to get into a panic. No company making tens of billions a year on cheap outsourced labor is going to stop producing immediately to come into the US to produce goods that would hurt corporate profits....

AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  10. SteveM

SteveM

What a lunatic.

#10     Aug 23, 2019
    piezoe, Snuskpelle and comagnum like this.