Amazing. I’ve tried to give away my methodology...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Jan 4, 2018.

1. tortoise

tortoise

...to three acquaintances who have expressed interest in trading. The whole thing. Soup to nuts. For free. And when they see there’s work involved—study, watching price action, understanding market structure—they walk away.

Just unfathomable to me. But I guess i’m a weirdo.

EliteThink, VPhantom, R123 and 2 others like this.
  2. USDJPY

USDJPY

Why don't you post it on the message board?

bizkitgto and tyf88 like this.
  3. Normies (those falling within 1 standard deviation) just want to go to work for 8 hours 5 days a week, get paid, go home and drink beer and watch NFL football.

Don't be surprised that most people are normies.

VPhantom, bln, Visaria and 10 others like this.
  4. Xela

Xela

I think this is relatively common: people sometimes see the outcomes of long-term successful trading (because of their visibility) and are attracted to them without really understanding anything about the process of eventually achieving them (because of its invisibility), and when they start looking at that realistically and in detail, they find it offputting. [​IMG]

VPhantom, Handle123, 777 and 8 others like this.
  5. Money talks, bullshit walks.
    You should have showed them a $10K brick of cash from your pocket, or show them your trading or bank acct balance.

If a close friend or family member did that to me...I'd be hooked, to learn more.
    But to anyone else, I'd think they're a scam artist.

But I agree, people in general...are lazy and are not willing to put in the effort and time to learn more to improve themselves.

If Albert Einstein told me all he knew, it wouldn't even register with me. Nor would I care. I would just be like good for you.
    To Excel at something...you have to genuinely like that field. You can't simply woo them by showing off Your success in it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. tortoise

tortoise

They know it’s how I’ve made my living, putting two kids through private school, living in one of the most expensive zip codes in the United States, etc.

But you really have to be kind of a fanatic to push through, I suppose.

7. rin4et

rin4et

People do not value anything they get easily. I have a standard email I send to people that ask and beyond that I say do your own research or the live market is the greatest teacher. That shuts them up.

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

One day grandma Z wanted to get rid of an old wooden chair that she didn't want to have to haul to the dump and pay $10 to dispose of.
    So she put it out in the yard with a big "FREE" sign on it.
    A week went by and no takers.
    She changed the sign to read "Rare Antique Chair... $500".
    .....It was stolen within an hour.

VPhantom, bln, d08 and 14 others like this.
  9. speedo

speedo

I try and stay away from mentoring, not because I don't like to help others because I do. I also believe that teaching someone your methodology reduces it's effectiveness is nonsense. The problem with mentoring is that despite one's best efforts and for some of the reasons listed above, they are likely to fail and I don't care to be part of that.

VPhantom, boomdog, kellys and 3 others like this.
  10. speedo

speedo

:D

#10     Jan 4, 2018
    birdman and comagnum like this.