always end up where I started

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bat1, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bat1

bat1

started trading with 25k 3 months ago

well after over 60 trades or so I got up to 32k

then lost it all back to 25k

for some reason I fear success :D

25K IS MY Comfort zone...lol

:confused:

2. Redneck

Redneck

Bat1

Quite the opposite is true – You fear failure

In fact so much so you are reluctant to take a loser – consequently you’ve lost all that you’ve gained…

Now you know the symptoms – You must come up with the solution, otherwise insanity will set in (the doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome crap)

Btw – the point you are now is where many start looking for a better set up – and/or different approach…

Save yourself the time and effort and go look in the mirror

Therein lies the true Holy Grail of trading Sir

Successful Journey
    RN

3. Yep!

I am so tired of RN being correct. Where is the fun in that?

BTW:

Atychiphobia-Fear Of Failure

Fear Of Failure Signs And Symptoms:

Atychiphobia, as with all phobias, is an extreme, irrational fear. Phobias, generally, keep us from enjoying some aspects of life. The fear of failure is often one of the most paralyzing phobias. Sometimes, we're so concerned about failing that we don't try an activity we want to try. Other times our fear of failure is so strong we subconsciously undermine our own efforts so we don't have to continue to try. This is why many have linked it with the fear of success. Like so many other fears, this phobia is often so strong it brings about the very failure that was feared.

Fear Of Failure Causes:

Often, this phobia is linked with early life causes, like demeaning parents or siblings, or traumatic events where a major embarrassment was the result of some minor failure. Afterwards, the fear keeps building as the failures and embarrassment add up over childhood. It doesn't help that our culture seems to imply that perfection can be achieved in looks, relationships, careers, etc. Perfection is an illusion, but the person with atychiphobia won't try until perfection is assured.

Fear Of Failure Treatment:

Much of the treatment for fear of failure is through self-help and motivational techniques. Some therapy is available to retrain the way we think, but all of this can be done with self-help.

Fear Of Failure Self Help:

Based on my own experience with fear of failure, the best way to beat atychiphobia is to face the things you fear, gradually, accepting that failure is simply necessary for success. Break the fearful activities down into small, manageable pieces and do more and more of them until you're relatively comfortable...then move to the next larger fearful step. I was afraid of failure at sales, so I practiced, smiling, then greeting, then eye contact, then meeting people, then calling them, setting appointments, follow-up, etc. If your fear of failure involves test-taking (fairly common) take all the tests you can on things that don't matter to you until you're comfortable with the anxiety of the process. The key is to manage the fear so it doesn't paralyze you. I'm still nervous with people, but it doesn't stop me any more.

Total Healing:

Mental Health conditions can be frustrating and painful. We both know there are no guaranteed cures or quick fixes, whether medicine, nutrition, herbs or anything else. Many illnesses are "incurable" from the medical standpoint. Complete healing is possible...including mind, body and spirit...from God. If you want God's help with this or any problem, go to Help From God.

http://www.way2hope.org/Illnesses/atychiphobia-fear-failure.htm

P.S. The God thing is a bit much for me being an atheist and all , but I am sure it is good for many people as long as you don't blow up a buss or something else.

4. Take a load of this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKnJTj-yliI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKnJTj-yliI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But don't forget that you still need to know what you are doing over all. Self confidence is not substitute for knowledge.

If not here is what will happen:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7U514hbGnGo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7U514hbGnGo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

5. it's all bullshit, don't listen to these people. Psychology is a crock of shit.

Either you have a profitable strat and exploit it to the max or you don't.

6. Redneck

Redneck

MS

My ass – otherwise…

Please feel free to explain how a human can separate their self – from their psychology

Fact – No matter how you slice it (including being automated) – a human being is involved, and centric - to all retail trading

If your head is screwed on straight – trading is easy… if it ain’t – then obviously it ain’t

============================================================================================

Ivan

Thank You for the Very Kind words…

If it’s any consolation though – my two teenagers constantly tell me I’m wrong – on everything….. :p

========================================================================================

MS

By all means – You have the floor

RN

7. nLepwa

nLepwa

Don't reinvest the profit.

Problem solved :D

Ninna

8. Imo, somewhere well below 25k may become your comfort zone, too. :cool:

Just putting this out there but you ain't asking any questions.(Not that we have any answers). Point being, you better be asking some questions and looking for some answers, somewhere, somehow.

I can relate to your post, looking back to my situation it was a long time, maybe months before I could figure out what were the questions.

9. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

I had to break my self-imposed hiatus from ET (didn't miss it much) to post this link to a webiar that a trading psychologist recently did, he talks about self-confidence as a precursor to discipline and has some other interesting ideas. I know him and like him, so I guess that makes me biased. webinar link http://bit.ly/dw9ALA

10. If you diligently kept to the same rules, then fear has nothing to do with it. You need a better system.

If you did not stick to your rules than it's either fear or hubris.

If you don't identify and conquer what's holding you back, I would be concerned about your ability to become a successful trader.

#10     Oct 27, 2010