Against The Grain? Worth It?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by alex.samant, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Hello boys and girls.

Let's debate something...

I know all the books and all the teachers claim that you should risk less than what you earn per trade and that if you risk $2 to get $1 is a losing proposition...

But is it so?

What if this is actually an edge. Having tons of winners and only a few losers exactly because of this.

After all, you still risk a low % of the account...

What do you say ?

2. There are certain high prob setups I use where I risk slightly more than I try to make but I have tested extensively and then simed it for 6 months before I commited actual cash and then even though I had a lot of faith my first 2 trades were losers. That turned around but what I am saying if you do take these setups you need to test extensively then have faith

3. thanks bogan.

i also thought that you need to have faith and really risk a small amount, even if that means gaining an even smaller amount...

however, what i am thinking is like... risk more, but let a winner run even more...

what would it be if one would combine regular stops with time stops? i think that would limit the risk even more, even in a workframe like that, where you initially risk more than what you aim for...

4. I risk more than I make on every setup, at least initially. I now have about an 83% reliability so it works out fine.