Ag fundamentals

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by bigspeculate, Dec 23, 2015.

1. I'm trying to brush up on the fundamentals and economics of ags and softs but i don't know where to start. I can read the govt reports but I don't know what I'm looking at.
    Where can I learn about the workings of the ags so these crop reports start to make sense?

2. Maaaaaan, just read the prices. I tried going that fundamental route with commodities but that didn't work out too well because fundamental information, from my experience, is hard to find unless you have a plug. Using the charts is much better.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. Yeah I get that. I just don't know a corn seed from a cotton ball. Knowing what moves and shakes a market can't hurt.
    I can just trade price in the stock market, too. But there I know of the economic picture, employment numbers, fed decisions, market mood, and such basic fundamentals.
    I seek a similar basic understanding of ags and softs.

4. R1234

R1234

very steep learning curve trying to trade ag markets based on fundamentals - it's tough even for the pros who have been doing it for years. One of the CTA's I allocated to is a recognized ag expert and they are down double digits for 2015.

5. > One of the CTA's [sic] I allocated to is a recognized ag expert and

Can you mention the name?

6. I don't necessarily want to trade based solely on fundamentals.

7. R1234

R1234

i'd rather not. don't want to damage anybody's reputation on a public forum