Adjusted Stop shortcut in IB/TWS -- not sticking

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by zoned_post_meridiem, Dec 26, 2018.

1. I'm running into an issue with hotkeys in Interactive Broker/TWS, and I'm not sure if it's a software bug or something wrong with the way I configure it. I'm trying to set a hotkey that submits a limit order with an attached stop, and an adjusted trailing stop that triggers (changes the original stop) at a certain price. This is for a trade setup where, for example, the hotkey would submit an order to buy shares @ $10, along with a stop @ $8, which converts into a trailing stop @ $12 if the share price hits $12.50.

TWS has a functionality for this, with the Adjusted Stop settings. And in classic TWS, I can do this manually. But I can't configure a hotkey for it, even though the hotkey function includes Adjusted Stop fields.

See attached file for how I'm trying to set this up. What happens when I trigger a hotkey set up like in the attached image is a limit order with stop attached -- but no trigger price for adjusted stop, or adjusted stop price.

Is this something I'm misunderstanding in the hotkey config? Or a bug in TWS?

[Note that there's also a mis-labeling in the hotkey config window, where the section I highlighted should be labeled "Stop Loss" rather than "Profit Taker." But it's a typo only -- on my Linux machine, the section is correctly labeled, and I still can't get the hotkey to work the way I think it should work.]

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

No help here, only sympathy.
    (But I have a buddy who'd love to get this to work, and wants me to assist, and there is beer involved. :D )

My ill-informed opinion is that this is not so much a bug exactly, as it is a software under-enhancement. There are half-a-dozen around, and *sometimes* they disappear without fanfare, but yeah..... they are there.

I've got a lot on my plate, and I *know* that this will take a good 2 days to simply *confirm* that this is a TWS Fail, so... I'm afraid it's low on my list. But my first thing will be to watch the lastest/greatest The Cynthia Show on Order Types to re-acquaint myself with what is supposed to happen, and then go from there.

Keep us posted. I'll try and do the same. :rolleyes:

3. Overnight

Overnight

Nah, sounds like an "undocumented feature".

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. Thanks, I'll keep trying on my end. I guess part of my frustration is that while this is a moderately complex order, TWS does offer it, and it's quite simple to enter manually in the Classic view. So from a programming perspective, it's just a matter of fixing the hotkey config, not of adding a brand-new functionality.

There also seems no obvious way to report something like this to IB ...

tommcginnis likes this.
  5. Haha, good one!

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. Uh, so I'm not sure if it just got pushed as an update (unlikely), or if I just failed to scroll down (likely), but there's an 'Adjustable Stop' option under 'Order Types' that makes this work.

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Could easily be one of those unheralded cures. You just keep yer mouth shut, smile a little, say "Thank youuuuu" to the Java Gods Of Greenwich, and keep your eyes glued for the next bit of Stuff That's Supposed To Work (And The Possible WorkArounds There-To...)..... :D

zoned_post_meridiem likes this.