A message to those that are failing....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by short&naked, Jul 27, 2008.

1. That is not what the statistics would EVER bear out.

This is quite a naive post. It is dreadfully difficult to be successful.

#31     Jul 28, 2008
  2. TA, absent of Price Action (for those TA charlatans who keep dragging price action under the TA umbrella) is by and large trash

Charts without lines and squiggles is what has promise.

TA is something people believe in. It is something that most studies discredit. This makes the TA lovers angry.

Their evidence? "I know someone who uses it successfully" or "Works for me, you just have to know how to transmogrify it..."

If you consider this as part of success, you really are short and naked.

#32     Jul 28, 2008
  3. So I pretty much do the opposite of everything you describe:

1. virtually everything I do I haven't seen done anywhere else besides with the people I collaborated on some ideas with.

2. I never invest, I never look at fundamentals. I rarely carry positions overnight.

3. I fight the trend.

4. I don't use any indicators. OK I use one, but it's not a very common one. And I don't use it the way it was intended. I certainly don't use MACD or MA.

5. I rarely use stops, ESPECIALLY trailing stops.

What I do is pretty complex, virtually impossible to backtest.

I pretty much did exactly as you advise when I was starting out and got NOWHERE. So I'd advise your readers to do the exact opposite of what you said.

If you aren't innovating you will never find a sustainable edge.

#33     Jul 29, 2008
  4. Rocko1

Rocko1

Dude, stop giving away the truth for free!

#34     Jul 29, 2008

5. What is dumb is that your argument begs the question.

You just made short&naked's point. GOOD scalpers make very consistant profits. This could be true, but assumes that most traders have the ability to be scalpers (ie. the skill). Try again.

#35     Jul 29, 2008
  6. Aha, those sub 20 stoch crosses that have been making me money lately must all merely be a figment of my imagination... :D

#36     Jul 29, 2008
  7. Rocko1

Rocko1

YES.

#37     Jul 29, 2008
  8. What makes you think that most people keep it simple?

George Lane is rolling in his grave....

Hmmm and why are TLs so extremely evil? :)

Then it can't have much credence now can it.

#38     Jul 29, 2008
  9. LMAO :)

#39     Jul 29, 2008
  10. bespoke

bespoke

so does that mean that shorter timeframes = less consistent profits as he states as a "statistical fact". show me a paper or study. anything. i don't need to provide evidence myself because i'm not the guy who is trying to preach it to others as a fact

There are many edges that can't be backtested. Sorry that you don't know any.

but keep using that 20 stochs indicator and making mad money, lmao (i hope to god you were kidding)

#40     Jul 29, 2008