A Look at Warren Buffett's Annual Letter

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Mar 11, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

With Buffett’s 2016 annual letter now published, two Motley Fool analysts dig into its details.
    John Maxfield And Gaby Lapera
    (JohnMaxfield37)
    Mar 11, 2017 at 6:48AM

One of the highlights of a serious investor's year is the release of Warren Buffett's annual letter to the shareholders ofBerkshire Hathaway(NYSE:BRK-A)(NYSE:BRK-B). His latest letter was released at the end of February, with its usual assortment of pithy quotes and interesting insights into the market.

Listen in to this week's episode ofIndustry Focus: Financialsto hear Gaby Lapera and John Maxfield discuss Buffett's recently released missive. Among other things, John talks about his favorite quote from the letter, and what Buffett may have been hinting at when he wrote it.

A full transcript follows the video.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/11/a-look-at-warren-buffetts-annual-letter.aspx

2. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Is it ? I'm a serious investor, but I couldn't give a toss about Buffett's (or anyone else's for that matter) newsletter.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker

Use it as a learning tool to improve as an investor. His newsletter gives you access to his thought process.

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. sle

sle

Even if your investment process can not benefit, these letters helps to improve as a human being.

dealmaker likes this.
  5. Stymie

Stymie

There is ignoring all the trash talk in the market and then there is the annual letter from the world's richest man who is giving back in his own way to investors. He shares his views on how the industry is short changing investors and what to watch out for if they don't choose to own his stock. The letter and his world's largest AGM of 40K shareholders in Omaha is free for those that want to learn. Great event and probably the only worthy finance event to attend globally. Every investor should personally take advantage of his generosity while he is still around to experience it!

newwurldmn, sle and dealmaker like this.
  6. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

My portfolios do perfectly well without having to read someone else's rants and ravings.

Buffet, like most other well known investors, attracts too many ass-lickers who seem to think the sun shines out of his backside.

You guys seriously overestimate the people who read Buffet, the vast majority people outside the US don't. Of course they know who he is, but like me they've got better things to do with their time than read some rambling newsletter, nor do they care much about reports of his trades in the news.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Buffet is bad. I'm just saying people should be able to form their own independent view of the markets without having to rely on someone else's musings. You won't get very far by just being a Buffet copy-cat (or trying to).

I have my own view of the market, I have my own investment style and research methodology, and it works just fine for me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

I am not advocating being a Buffett copy cat, I am suggesting KAIZEN.

8. sle

sle

I read his letter because he's a wise quality human being and his thoughts are worth reading and digesting. Nothing I read there ever influenced my strategies or personal investments but I certainly appreciate his general outlook on the world.

dealmaker likes this.
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Despite your ardent anti-Buffett sentiment, I strongly recommend you read "The Snowball" by Alice Schroeder.

10. dealmaker

dealmaker

#10     Mar 26, 2017