A hedge fund advised by Nassim Taleb made $1 billion this week

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

A hedge fund advised by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the man who popularized the "black swan theory," made a killing on Monday.

The Wall Street Journal's Juliet Chung reports that Mark Spitznagel's Miami-based Universa Investments was up 20% on Monday.

The fund netted about $1 billion in profits over the course of the week, some realized and others on paper, according to the report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nassim-talebs-universa-investments-crushed-it-2015-8

FCXoptions and trader99 like this.
  2. ktm

ktm

Wow.

3. Nice going, Nassim!

4. Surfer, did Soros make $2.00 Billion battling the UK Pound overnight or is that a real story? Nice work by this hedge fund, he deserves all the fine foods and drinks after this! Wow!

5. There are winners and losers everyday in the market -- could have just as easily gone the other way. Nonetheless, well played Nassim.

"A hedge fund advised by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the man who popularized the "black swan theory," made a killing on Monday."

The founders of the Black-Scholes model went bust with their LTCM fund in the late 90's. -- so not every founder of a theory is so smart and bullet-proof.

6. dealmaker

dealmaker

7. luisHK

luisHK

I'm no big taleb's fan, although i've read and overall apreciated a couple of his books, but his strategy is supposed to bleed out slowly when not working, ie apparently they couldn't suffer a huge loss in one day.
    I suspect he's gonna be all over the news again

i960 likes this.
  8. samuel11

samuel11

Is that the signal for a bear market?

9. Butterball

Butterball

These long volatility funds look nice on big spikey moves, but bleed out slowly over time in conventional market regimes. Maybe they made $1bln on Monday, but how much they they lose the last 5 years? That's what they don't tell you.

10. Pekelo

Pekelo

1. How did the fund do in the last 5 years?
    2. How much Taleb made?
    3. "Some gains unrealized" well, the market did bounce back.

So as far as we know the fund made only 200 mill by the end of the week and lost money in the last 5 years...

Just saying....

#10     Aug 29, 2015
    gkishot likes this.