2 Cards better than 1 for 4 or more monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick1, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

2. Macca1 likes this.
  3. To run 4 monitors, I like using 2 dualhead cards. They are less expensive, and if the card fails on one monitor port (I've had that happen at least twice), you can replace the card inexpensively.

The number of monitors and your options are going to be determined by the number of slots on the MOBO which can run video cards. All of the PCIEx16s and most of the PCIEx1s will run video cards.

And then there's the issue of resolution. With UHD monitors and 4K TVs used as monitors today, your video card(s) have to be capable of running them. Also gaming. If you want to game on the same rig, you'll likely need high-performance cards.

I have run 6 monitors @ 1920x1200 from 3, dualhead PCIE video cards... from the Nvidia NVS line. The NVS 310/315 can run (2) 2560x1600 res monitors from DP and are inexpensive. It's possible to run many more monitors depending upon the MOBO and video cards.

Good luck.

NoBias, zdreg and Deuteronomy_24_7 like this.
  4. Maverick1

Maverick1

Thanks Scata,

Yeah the redundancy argument is hard to ignore. If one of the cards go out (less likely than 2 at the same time), you can fall back on the other.

Ok, so my next question would be, I'd really like to 2 pick SILENT, passively cooled cards to run 4 screens. But Dell and HP have their own card selections in their PCs for sale. Need someone that can sell me a brand new PC but prepped for 2 cards of my choice.

Does anyone know of a reliable vendor who can accommodate this simple request at a reasonable price? I've seen some of the 'customize' shops and they charge 2-3k for their machines, which is ridonkulous.

5. Maverick1

Maverick1

6. Suggest not bothering with a vendor who promotes a "customized trading computer". Just get a workstation from Dell, HP, or Lenovo with appropriate video cards. There aren't many "silent" video cards any longer.... virtually all have fans.... though some are low enough noise to be almost silent.

7. d08

d08

Modern cards, even the gaming cards have more than 1 active cooler but in low performance usage (such as trading), it's as silent as a passive card as the fans are stopped. You don't need to bother with business or workstation class cards because they're the same as the gaming ones except sold at a higher margin.

Macca1 likes this.
  8. Maverick1

Maverick1

Thanks D08,

You had mentioned your GTX 960 in your machine in the other thread. You pretty happy with the quietness? Even when say, you're on a video/flash heavy webpage or more than one?

I think one of the ENVY HP consumer desktops has a GTX 960 in it.

9. just21

just21

If you want passively cooled dualhead then you want an Nvidia nvs 295 or 310 on eBay as the latest ones in the nvs range have a fan.

10. Maverick1

Maverick1

Thx j21. Do you run one of these yourself? What kind of pc do you have? desktop or workstation? Hoe u don't mind me asking.

#10     Dec 3, 2016