FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home
 
    Forums > Trading for a Living > Psychology > Is trading Gambling or not .."What say You" Vote here.


View Poll Results: Is Trading Gambling or not
Gambling 438 34.90%
Not Gambling 817 65.10%
Voters: 1255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #25
John47
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 722
my humble opinion:

Casino gambling w/ slots and what not, pure chance/luck...doesn't appeal to me.


Poker/trading....at the higher levels, where it is a career for people......it is people that know their game well, and take bets when the odds are in their favor.

You make a trade when you feel you have an 'edge' in the odds, right? That if you take that same trade over and over, you will come out ahead becasue of your edge, your odds.

A pro gambler does something very similar...they play the hands (take the trades) where they feel they have a better than random chance of taking the pot (making a winning trade).

I think alot of careers involve playing odds....perhaps trading and poker most obvliously.
    Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #26
FredBloggs
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 742, evergreen terrace, springfield.
Posts: 3,154
gambler or trader?

the answer lies in how the individual understands and approaches risk.

does a casino gamble, or is it only the customer who gambles? both carry risk, they just manage it differently.
    Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #27
MrsSavant
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 620
Mr 47,

Look at the example in this thread and reflect and apply what you are saying to the example. There is no directional bias. There is no playing the game well.

If you have limited capital, try this at Oanda. I watch Electric Volatility Grab every day...

I must agree, Trading is not gambling, even though I am not a trader and depend on an advisory that may gamble...

Let me say, that Electric would never allow me to trade an advisory that posted hypothetical results. I have been trading this advisory for 1 1/2 years now. If it stops working, then I will not be trading and need to learn how.

Wifey



Quote:
Quote from John47:

my humble opinion:

Casino gambling w/ slots and what not, pure chance/luck...doesn't appeal to me.


Poker/trading....at the higher levels, where it is a career for people......it is people that know their game well, and take bets when the odds are in their favor.

You make a trade when you feel you have an 'edge' in the odds, right? That if you take that same trade over and over, you will come out ahead becasue of your edge, your odds.

A pro gambler does something very similar...they play the hands (take the trades) where they feel they have a better than random chance of taking the pot (making a winning trade).

I think alot of careers involve playing odds....perhaps trading and poker most obvliously.
    Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #28
illiquid
 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,617
Electric, what would have happened to a trader who implemented that strategy with say JPY 20 + years ago when yen was trading around 220 to the dollar?
    Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #29
MrsSavant
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 620
Mr Bloggs,

As another poster eluded to, lets not turn this into a conceptual game of symantics as these type of threads turn into.

Lets concentrate on the example and the work at hand....

Please excuse me sir, I am not approaching you in a challenging or condescending tone. I would never do this publically to Electric's friends.

If the example is too hard...I can ask Electric to give us an easier example to work on, that will prove trading is not gambling?

Wifey




Quote:
Quote from FredBloggs:

gambler or trader?

the answer lies in how the individual understands and approaches risk.

does a casino gamble, or is it only the customer who gambles? both carry risk, they just manage it differently.
    Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #30
ElectricSavant
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden, California, Colorado & New York
Posts: 14,844
I am not sure, as this cannot be backtested. I would be very profitable on the realized profit from the chop, however. I could visualize that today I could go flat in it with a net profit. How much profit I do no know.

The ability to trade correctly with the proper incremental spacing and trade size is key in your example.

Michael B.

P.S. I might add, ones ability to suffer the unrealized P/L during this 20 years without a margin call would be key to survival.



Quote:
Quote from illiquid:

Electric, what would have happened to a trader who implemented that strategy with say JPY 20 + years ago when yen was trading around 220 to the dollar?
    Quote
 
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump



   Conduct Rules   Privacy Policy   Sitemap Copyright © 2014, Elite Trader. All rights reserved.   

WHILE YOU'RE HERE, TAKE A MINUTE TO VISIT SOME OF OUR SPONSORS:
Advantage Futures
Futures Trading & Clearing
Alpha 7 Trading Academy
Proprietary Trading Education
AMP Global Clearing
Futures and FX Trading
Bright Trading
Professional Equities Trading
CTS
Futures Trading Software
DaytradingBias.com
Professional Trading Analytics
ECHOtrade
Professional Trading Firm
eSignal
Trading Software Provider
FXCM
Forex Trading Services
Global Futures
Futures, Options & FX Trading
Interactive Brokers
Pro Gateway to World Markets
JC Trading Group
Direct Access Trading
MB Trading
Direct Access Trading
MultiCharts
Trading Software Provider
NinjaTrader
Trading Software Provider
OANDA
Currency Trading
optionshouse
Option Trading & Education
Rithmic
Futures Trade Execution Platform
SpeedTrader
Direct Access Trading
SpreadProfessor
Spread Trading Instruction
thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
Direct Access TradingAdvertisement
TradersStudio
System Building & Backtesting
Trading Technologies
Trading Software Provider
Trend Following
Trading Systems Provider