FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Tools of the Trade > Backup and Security > For Windows XP Users - April 8th, 2014 - End of Support

Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1
gwb-trading

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP
http://news.yahoo.com/taste-horrible...195030672.html

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS.

(more at above url)
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Bob111

Sorry MSFT, but I'm not buying it. What's wrong with 3rd party antivirus/firewall and browsing with a common sense ?
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Pekelo

I bet they are going to extend it. 31% is just to big of a chunk for a nice class action suit....
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Scataphagos

Quote:
Quote from Bob111:

Sorry MSFT, but I'm not buying it. What's wrong with 3rd party antivirus/firewall and browsing with a common sense ?
Likely correct. Some people are still using Windows 2000.

XP for a trading machine should be OK for at least a few years... if it's dedicated for trading, connected only to servers used in trading... and not used to surf the net or adding other programs. If one is worried about getting corrupted or compromised, perhaps should get a 2nd computer with W7/8 for general computing and keep it up to date with AV and patches.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
gwb-trading

Quote:
Quote from Pekelo:

I bet they are going to extend it. 31% is just to big of a chunk for a nice class action suit....
I certainly hope they extend it. IMO the primary driver would be the significant number of large businesses that are still using Windows XP. I currently am doing IT work at a large bank and they have Windows XP deployed across the entire employee population of over 40,000. There is no way they are switching to Windows 7 before April of 2014.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Scataphagos

Quote:
Quote from gwb-trading:

I certainly hope they extend it. IMO the primary driver would be the significant number of large businesses that are still using Windows XP.
XP users can still get "paid support" after the April cut-off, but it's expensive.