FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Tools of the Trade > Trading Software > TDAmeritrade ripping us off?

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
tdatspectral

I've been using TDAmeritrade since about 2001, maybe before. During this time I've been actively trading about 4 or 5 different periods lasting maybe 3-6 months each so I'm not the most active trader by any means.

I've observed a pattern and I'm wondering who else has noticed this. EVERYTIME there is a critical juncture in the markets, TDAmeritrade becomes "inaccessible" for the day. By that I mean I cannot get streaming data or sometimes even quotes. This has the effect of making it impossible to trade with any accuracy, especially when selling or closing a position.

The most recently happened on July 28 when the market was at a lowest point and I needed to sell my puts but couldn't find a price. The next day the puts were worthless.

I'll usually call support and in the past they have tried to blame the Command Center software. Most recently I was using their "Trade Architect" software and it was experiencing the same problem except even worse, I couldn't get any quotes for options. (I mostly trade options). This was one of the few times they acknowledged they had a problem and didn't try to blame my system.

I've been in IT for over 25 years and I know instinctively the problem exists with their servers. I've verified it wasn't my computer or DSL. I won't bother to go into the technical details.

I believe they are coordinated with some shadowy force to screw traders, as this ALWAYS happens at those critical days when I need to take an action, as in 'NEED'. So when I googled TDAmeritrade complaints or problems I find there are many instances of TDA doing harm to individuals.

Am I the only one who has been seeing this pattern?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
stock777

they prob dont want you to sell your 5 shares of SIRI when the market is crashing.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
arbs-r-us

Quote:
Quote from stock777:

they prob dont want you to sell your 5 shares of SIRI when the market is crashing.
lol!!!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
colion

tdat, as a TDAmeritrade customer can you use ThinkorSwim? I have not heard any complaints about them.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Cdntrader

Quote:
Quote from tdatspectral:

I've been using TDAmeritrade since about 2001, maybe before. During this time I've been actively trading about 4 or 5 different periods lasting maybe 3-6 months each so I'm not the most active trader by any means.

I've observed a pattern and I'm wondering who else has noticed this. EVERYTIME there is a critical juncture in the markets, TDAmeritrade becomes "inaccessible" for the day. By that I mean I cannot get streaming data or sometimes even quotes. This has the effect of making it impossible to trade with any accuracy, especially when selling or closing a position.

The most recently happened on July 28 when the market was at a lowest point and I needed to sell my puts but couldn't find a price. The next day the puts were worthless.

I'll usually call support and in the past they have tried to blame the Command Center software. Most recently I was using their "Trade Architect" software and it was experiencing the same problem except even worse, I couldn't get any quotes for options. (I mostly trade options). This was one of the few times they acknowledged they had a problem and didn't try to blame my system.

I've been in IT for over 25 years and I know instinctively the problem exists with their servers. I've verified it wasn't my computer or DSL. I won't bother to go into the technical details.

I believe they are coordinated with some shadowy force to screw traders, as this ALWAYS happens at those critical days when I need to take an action, as in 'NEED'. So when I googled TDAmeritrade complaints or problems I find there are many instances of TDA doing harm to individuals.

Am I the only one who has been seeing this pattern?

TD is a MARKETING firm not a reputable professional brokerage firm
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #6
opt789

I have been using thinkorswim for many years, and only very rarely have had any problems. There were times in the past where they went through a couple rough patches, but they have been solid for quite a while now.

As was already posted, you need to switch to the thinkorswim desktop software.

Your conspiracy theories sound rather far-fetched. There are times when markets get really busy and quotes can slow down for a couple seconds, but I have seen that on most every platform I have tested at one time or another.