FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Programming > C++ use in Excel - best option?

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
bluematrix

Hi

I want some expert/experienced advice on the best approach/method of using C++ code in Excel. For example building some pricing models in C++ and using them in Excel.

I know there are various ways so I want your opinion.

It seems there are lot of pages on using COM. but I personally think COM is OLD, and UGLY! am I wrong? or is it really still the best option?

I know of Excel-DNA and it really is perfect for use with C#, but there really is no similar option for C++ - although I've seen some commercial options, for example:

1 http://www.stochastix.com/solutions/...atest/features
2. http://www.planatechsolutions.com/xllplus/default.htm

Really appreciate your toughts.

thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
sma202

Quote:
Quote from bluematrix:

Hi

I want some expert/experienced advice on the best approach/method of using C++ code in Excel. For example building some pricing models in C++ and using them in Excel.

It seems there are lot of pages on using COM. but I personally think COM is OLD, and UGLY! am I wrong? or is it really still the best option?

I know of Excel-DNA and it really is perfect for use with C#, but there really is no similar option for C++ - although I've seen some commercial options, for example:

thanks
write a dll and call it in vba using the win32 api.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
clearinghouse

Quote:
Quote from bluematrix:

Hi

thanks
Use C++/CLI, and recompile your libraries in that, then connect to whatever .NET bindings that Excel-DNA thing is supporting. And if that's not possible, create an assembly with C++/CLI, wrap it in a C# interface and then connect /that/ to Excel-DNA.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4
bluematrix

ok - saw I have two different options offered already - but which is better?

also have you actually experience doing this? are there any limitations using a dll or going through c# excel-dna? can you use objects exactly the same way etc?

ALSO - what if you have lot of code in non-CLI that might be difficult to recompile..

thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
clearinghouse

Quote:
Quote from bluematrix:

also have you actually experience doing this? are there any limitations using a dll or going through c# excel-dna? can you use objects exactly the same way etc?

ALSO - what if you have lot of code in non-CLI that might be difficult to recompile..

thanks
I've never had any difficulties recompiling native code in C++/CLI, and C++/CLI seems to link in native libraries and automatically generate the wrapper/transition code to get information out of the native libraries properly.

I use C++/CLI quite a bit, mostly because using COM libraries or various broker interfaces and changing from broker to broker on all the various prop front-ends always involves some random new hodge-podge of Windows-related technology. C++/CLI is somewhat of a god-send because it serves as a sort of glue for connecting old/native code with systems that use .NET.

The added benefit is that you can still write solid, re-usable C++, and not feel bound to .NET forever.

I can't comment on Excel-DNA; I've never used it. I was just proposing an alternative if you didn't want to be forced into C#.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
sma202

Quote:
Quote from bluematrix:

thanks
if you have c++ dlls already, making a call via win32 is straightforward and would be the fastest way.

If you want to abstract things in a pretty manner and don't mind learning cli...go with that route.