FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Strategy (System) Design > Realistic weekly or monthly returns of a top pro trader

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
seekingbuddha

I am sure this topic has been discussed in one of the forums here before, but i am unable to locate any useful thread (and there are hundreds that come up with different keywords for searches). So here i go with an old question, and would like answer from top traders who have been trading for a living for atleast 5 years successfully (so your beginning years dont count which probably are the best).

To make it down to earth and avoid generic answers that i have seen before here are some criteria.....

Initial starting capital = 50k
Percent at risk on any given day = 30% (based on my system's profitability analysis) = 15k.
Leverage instrument = naked options on spy, trading the directionality of the day. (or you can consider ES futures)

Preferably i would like to answers from those who are trading ES or trading options on SPY. But i welcome answers from any veteran trader. Please avoid generic answers, since i am past the stage intermediate and already making consistent profits. This is simply a question to vet my curiosity. I know what an average hedge fund makes and other such things, but want to see if there are any successful short term traders who are able to acheive much greater annual returns consistently. Weekly or monthly or annual returns are all welcome.

Thanks - s.
PS: please avoid silly answers to make this thread more useful to others in future, who might search the same topic.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
gmst

Very interesting yet very strange question primarily because of the daily max risk of 30%. I don't know any trader who runs that kind of risk with 50k capital. Yes I do know a lot of folks running this risk with 1k-2k-4k capital trading FX. Anyways, please answer below.

Roughly (or very roughly), how many ES points per year does your system equates to? You may think this is an irrelevant question, but trust me it is very relevant. Please answer this and I will write back and my response will answer your question to some degree at least. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
flipside21

If you read Market Wizards 1 and Pit Bull, Marty Schwartz was making 25% per month with never more than a 3% drawdown, however, he's probably one in 100,000 people.

http://www.meetpips.com/members/Tony...25-a-month-man
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #4
gmst

Quote:
Quote from flipside21:

If you read Market Wizards 1 and Pit Bull, Marty Schwartz was making 25% per month with never more than a 3% drawdown, however, he's probably one in 100,000 people.

http://www.meetpips.com/members/Tony...25-a-month-man
Where did you read about 3% DD? Is it in the book, which page ? I have read the book, but don't remember reading 3% anywhere.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
oldtime

you kids sure have balls. If you think I am going to take a 15k hit in one day on a 50k account one of us is crazy.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
oldtime

Quote:
Quote from oldtime:

you kids sure have balls. If you think I am going to take a 15k hit in one day on a 50k account one of us is crazy.
oh, I got you. You mean just 15k committed in margin. Yeah, that sounds about right.