Registered: Apr 2005
07-03-12 01:00 AM
About 2 years ago a group of colleagues and I started an online business. We have slowly expanded into other areas and everything was going well. Goog contacted us that one of our sites was distributing "Badware" as they call it. This site was an autoblogger and should never have had a problem.
We took the site down and down loaded all the files (1 gigabyte). We checked it with MS Security Essentials, but it found no problems. It was rechecked with AVG and it found 6 problems, the same ones Goog reported in the webmaster tools. Cleaned the site and uploaded it.
Wanting a better understanding, we loaded a small USB hard drive (500 gig) with all the data we could get, leaving about 25% free space. copied the Badware site to the drive along with some other trojans, etc that we gathered.
MS SE found a few items, but missed quite a bit. AVG found more of the problems, but not all. Tried Norton, similar results to AVG. Tried Avast, found ALL of the badware, trojans everything...then on the reboot into DOS it found and cleaned all the remnants.
We now take our sites down once every 30 days to test and clean. We believe that our site contracted the Badware from other sites on the same shared host. We are currently investigating our own server for a data center or SiteLock for all of our sites.
To anyone thinking that $60 or even $100 per year is too much to pay, then I suggest you consider a new line of work or consider how much time the cleanup is going to cost you.