FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home
 
    Forums > Main > Options > Reverse Iron Condors

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #55
ForexForex
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 888
Quote:
Quote from jkgraham:

If you sell regular Iron Condors for a 10% gain it would only take 1 loser to equal 9 winners but in practice you shouldn't let it expire with a total loss. You can usually get out of losers with only a 20%-30% loss. I wonder if the Reverse Iron Butterfly would be simialr if you bailed-out of a loser before it expires. Maybe for only a 30% lose or less.
If it's earnings related it would be more like a 70%- 80% loss after the first day if the stock just moves 0-5%.
    Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #56
spindr0
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Quote from jkgraham:

OK I see that now. It is a Reverse Iron Butterfly when the options that are bought are both ATM instead of a Reverse Iron Condor. Am I right about that?
How about you try learning to say Long Butterfly and Short Butterfly?
    Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #57
spindr0
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Quote from jkgraham:

If it didn't move right after earnings into a profitable range I would close the entire position and take the loss. I would lose a few days of Theta and possibly a lot of Vega if IV drops, but both of those risks are the same risks that Straddles and Strangles face as well.
Not the same risks. IV collapse affects you but you won't lose anywhere near as much vega wiith a spread because to some extent, what you overpay for the long legs, you receive for the sale of the short legs.
    Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #58
spindr0
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Quote from ForexForex:

If it's earnings related it would be more like a 70%- 80% loss after the first day if the stock just moves 0-5%.
ONKKKK!!!

Wrong answer.

Do not pass GO.

Do not collect $200.

Go back to Yahoo.
    Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #59
newwurldmn
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,418
Quote:
Quote from ForexForex:

So has it been explained how Convexity fits into this thread? Looks like it doesn't. LOL
If you are buying options you want as much convexity as possible. If you are selling them you want convexity protection.

How would you have your 800% returns that you bragged about if you were trading callspreads instead of outright calls?
    Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #60
newwurldmn
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,418
Quote:
Quote from spindr0:

How about you try learning to say Long Butterfly and Short Butterfly?
I want to trade a reverse short stock.
    Quote
 
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump



   Conduct Rules   Privacy Policy   Sitemap Copyright © 2014, Elite Trader. All rights reserved.   

WHILE YOU'RE HERE, TAKE A MINUTE TO VISIT SOME OF OUR SPONSORS:
Advantage Futures
Futures Trading & Clearing
AMP Global Clearing
Futures and FX Trading
Collective2
Automated Trading Services
CTS
Futures Trading Software
dom993trading.com
NinjaTrader Consulting
eSignal
Trading Software Provider
FXCM
Forex Trading Services
Global Futures
Futures, Options & FX Trading
Interactive Brokers
Pro Gateway to World Markets
JC Trading Group
Direct Access Trading
MB Trading
Direct Access Trading
NinjaTrader
Trading Software Provider
optionshouse
Option Trading & Education
Rithmic
Futures Trade Execution Platform
SpeedTrader
Direct Access Trading
SpreadProfessor
Spread Trading Instruction
thenut-trader.com
FX, Gold, & Stock Signals
TradersStudio
System Building & Backtesting
Tradier
Equity and Options Trading
Trading Technologies
Trading Software Provider