FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Main > Trading > What are the largest fortunes ever made by INDEPENDENT traders?

Closed Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
travelingtrader

What are the largest fortunes ever made by INDEPENDENT traders?

By independent trader I am talking about someone that only trades their own money. Not someone that manages other people's money. Obviously lots of hedge fund managers and money managers have gotten very rich from trading but they were trading with other people's money.

Have any independent traders ever made $100 million, $250 million, half billion or even billion dollar fortunes just trading THEIR OWN money?

If so who are these independent traders and what are their stories?

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
atticus

Quote:
Quote from travelingtrader:

By independent trader I am talking about someone that only trades their own money. Not someone that manages other people's money. Obviously lots of hedge fund managers and money managers have gotten very rich from trading but they were trading with other people's money.

Have any independent traders ever made $100 million, $250 million, half billion or even billion dollar fortunes just trading THEIR OWN money?

I know one guy that made over $100MM organically with no OPM. He started with $12,000 or so in 1998. I am not going to name him. He's a German national. I would think Rotter is probably the guy with the best story, but not sure how much of his stake was pooled.

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
sculptor66

Quote:

Richard Dennis reached about 200 million USD in his personal account. Later he went on to manage OPM, as far as I know - with mixed success.

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
just21

Quote:
Quote from atticus:

I know one guy that made over $100MM organically with no OPM. He started with $12,000 or so in 1998. I am not going to name him. He's a German national. I would think Rotter is probably the guy with the best story, but not sure how much of his stake was pooled.
What market and strategy?

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
atticus

Quote:
Quote from just21:

What market and strategy?
Equity and FX vol in OTC exotic options.

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
newwurldmn

Quote:

I didn't read the book The Big Short, but heard a story about two junior investment bankers who quit to start a hedgefund that was self funded. They took 50k and turned it into like 60MM. They did this by picking stocks and then buying LEAPS and tripling or quadrupling their money and doing it over and over again, constantly doubling down. They then were massively short in 2008.

Closed Thread