FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Main > Trading > What products do you trade ?

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #79
SimpleTrades

Quote:
Quote from bwolinsky:

If you were really smart you'd have listened to at least talk to Schamp about getting his database. That much was worth the effort it took to get to know him. Nobody will ever make you that offer, so you may think fine for now, but when you realize you have no data to do real financial research then you might go to him at least for that info.
Beau, I am just getting started. As you can tell from my education, I have a bunch of theoretical knowledge at my disposal, but very little applied experience that would be useful to trading. So let me develop those skills first.

Once those skills are developed, I can apply them to any set of data that I may have at my disposal. In fact, for the immediate need, the data I have from FXCM is perfectly sufficient. I can expand from there as I become more knowledgeable.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #80
SimpleTrades

Quote:
Quote from bwolinsky:

My apologies. I keep forgetting you are Canadian. No gen eds? Humanities? Religion? There's more to an education than math and computer sci, but maybe they figure you'll get all of your arts from the econ.

Before pursuing the Computer Science major I'd made it through 3 classes, including discrete mathematics. Probability had DE and Mathemtical Modelling for Economics had DE as well. Straight DE I was told was more for Math and Physics majors.
General Arts were included and then excluded as a result of the extra courses I took. I started as a non-degree student at the age of 33 with a 1st year (Full year) micro/marco course, a PHIL course, and a physics course. The extra Economics courses pushed the PHIL off my degree requirement. Yes, I took all the pure math DE courses. I have a few discrete math courses, advanced abstract math, analysis, probability, statistics etc.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #81
bwolinsky

Quote:
Quote from bhardy307:

General Arts were included and then excluded as a result of the extra courses I took. I started as a non-degree student at the age of 33 with a 1st year (Full year) micro/marco course, a PHIL course, and a physics course. The extra Economics courses pushed the PHIL off my degree requirement. Yes, I took all the pure math DE courses. I have a few discrete math courses, advanced abstract math, analysis, probability, statistics etc.
I don't think I could ever stomach another discrete math course, but it helped in probability.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #82
NoDoji

Until recently, I mainly traded Matchbox cars.

Started small, just one car, but worked my way up to 10 before the bots caught on and I lost my edge.

I've been sim trading marbles and was ready to go live on Monday, but I appear to have lost them all after reading this thread.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #83
SimpleTrades

Quote:
Quote from bwolinsky:

I don't think I could ever stomach another discrete math course, but it helped in probability.
I don't think I could handle another course in analysis - tedious beyond belief. You said you enjoy Topology? Yikes.

You need those discrete math courses if you want to take some of the more interesting applied math. You also need abstract math (ring theory, group theory)
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #84
SimpleTrades

Quote:
Quote from NoDoji:

Until recently, I mainly traded Matchbox cars.

Started small, just one car, but worked my way up to 10 before the bots caught on and I lost my edge.

I've been sim trading marbles and was ready to go live on Monday, but I appear to have lost them all after reading this thread.

NoDoji, welcome! You too have a very interesting reputation on ET!! What's up with that??