FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Main > Economics > What is the optimum tax rate on the wealthy?

View Poll Results: Tax rate on the wealthy (say earners of > 1M a year)
0 - 10% 28 22.40%
11% - 20% 16 12.80%
21% - 30% 26 20.80%
31% - 40% 12 9.60%
41% - 50% 13 10.40%
51% - 60% 4 3.20%
61% - 70% 18 14.40%
I don't know 3 2.40%
I don't care 5 4.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #25
MKTrader

Quote:
Quote from Swan Noir:

I realize that I am speaking of voluntary behavior here and that is worlds apart from the tax man putting his hand in our pockets making the question you pose more relevant than my example but when I hear about companies with openings posting that they will only interview those that are currently employed it makes me cringe.

On the flip side, there are plenty of job vacancies in certain industries and regions. Many are still holding out for a better job that isn't "beneath" them, especially if they can get unemployment, food stamps, SSI, etc. Not sure what happened to the "I'll take a job digging ditches or delivering pizzas if I have to feed my family" mentality.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #26
Mayhem

Quote:
Quote from MKTrader:

Many are still holding out for a better job that isn't "beneath" them, especially if they can get unemployment, food stamps, SSI, etc. Not sure what happened to the "I'll take a job digging ditches or delivering pizzas if I have to feed my family" mentality.
That mentality died when leisure suits, Plato's Retreat, and Studio 54 became stylish.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #27
StarDust9182

While I don't care, since I can adjust given enough time, I do wonder why you refer to wealthy which is based on net worth or assets and talk about an income tax. Aren't income and wealth different things?
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #28
peilthetraveler

I like the idea of a 10% tax on everyone on anything you make (no tax loopholes for this) which goes to providing for the common good (roads, schools, military, ect) then another non-mandatory 10% to go to charity(welfare, food stamps, social security, medicare, ect) The non-mandatory 10% you only dont have to pay if you write a letter once per year explaining why you dont want to pay that 10% of which that letter will be public record that anyone can see it if they want. Otherwise it will be automatically deducted.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #29
piezoe

Quote:
Quote from Occam:

The real issue isn't so much the tax rate, but the byzantine and consumption-encouraging manner in which things are taxed (or not taxed, or subsidized). The US generally taxes productivity and profitability rather than consumption. Coupled with the pork-barrel politics of deductions/subsidies, we've got a problem that can't be fixed by simply raising rates.
Yes!
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #30
Free Thinker

Quote:
Quote from Ghost of Cutten:

Should be identical to the tax rate on everyone else. Different tax rates for different earnings violates equal treatment under the law.
"Should be identical to the tax rate on everyone else."
the graduated income tax does exactly this. everyone pays the same tax at the bracket. a person making a million pays the same rate on the first 25k as a person making 50k.