FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home
 
    Forums > Main > Stocks > Cost basis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
AllenW
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 61
Just transfered some stock from by parents to me---is basis calculated on original purchase or from date of transfer?

(transfer was not a result of estate or inheritance matters)

Thanks
    Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
AllenW
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 61
Let me try again.....

My parents transfered stock to me. Current price is significantly lower than purchase price.....if I sell it...... is it income to me or a loss?
If income, what is my basis?
I'm assuming the transfer is counted as a gift...but how do I report it?

If there is a better forum for these questions I'll be happy move along.

Thanks
    Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
murray t turtle
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: tn
Posts: 6,588
Quote:
Quote from AllenW:

Let me try again.....

My parents transfered stock to me. Current price is significantly lower than purchase price.....if I sell it...... is it income to me or a loss?
If income, what is my basis?
I'm assuming the transfer is counted as a gift...but how do I report it?

If there is a better forum for these questions I'll be happy move along.

Thanks
===========
Aw;
Call 2, or 5 local CPAs ,can give the most accurate answer. I think in TN, for example first $10,000[from parents/per year ] is tax free...................................... Nor does TN require a hunt liscense for landowners [on thier own land...]
    Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4
flipside21
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 400
Quote:
Quote from AllenW:

Just transfered some stock from by parents to me---is basis calculated on original purchase or from date of transfer?

(transfer was not a result of estate or inheritance matters)

Thanks
You get carry over basis, i.e. your parent's cost basis at their time of original purchase.

If it was result of (God forbid) parent's death, then you get step up in basis at time of demise.
    Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
brokerboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,003
http://www.pennyborn.com/estatetaxes...ndgifting.html

"Share Your Cost Basis in Gifted Stock
When you gift stock, you should give the donee information regarding your purchase of the stock so they can retain it for their tax records. Provide the donee the following information: a. your cost basis; b. the date you purchased it; c. the value on the date of the gift; and d. your holding period. If you purchased the shares on multiple dates, provide the donee a record of all of dates of purchase, the number of shares purchased on each date, and your cost basis. To avoid giving the gift of a tax return nightmare, it is essential to provide the donee all information necessary for tax filings, including copies of trade confirmations or other supporting documentation.

Under current tax laws, the donee will owe tax on the difference between the donor’s cost basis and the value of the stock when the donee sells it, including reinvested dividends. Thus, the donee pays the capital gains tax for appreciation of the stock during the time it was owned by the donor and the donee. However, tax laws change frequently. Talk with a tax advisor to determine taxes that may be owed. See the IRS Website. "
    Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Free Thinker
 
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 14,316
Quote:
Quote from AllenW:

Let me try again.....

My parents transfered stock to me. Current price is significantly lower than purchase price.....if I sell it...... is it income to me or a loss?
If income, what is my basis?
I'm assuming the transfer is counted as a gift...but how do I report it?

If there is a better forum for these questions I'll be happy move along.

Thanks
neither if its under 13000. you fall under the irs gift limits. gifts under 13000 dont have to be reported.
    Quote
 
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump



   Conduct Rules   Privacy Policy   Sitemap Copyright © 2014, Elite Trader. All rights reserved.   

WHILE YOU'RE HERE, TAKE A MINUTE TO VISIT SOME OF OUR SPONSORS:
Advantage Futures
Futures Trading & Clearing
Alpha 7 Trading Academy
Proprietary Trading Education
AMP Global Clearing
Futures and FX Trading
Bright Trading
Professional Equities Trading
CTS
Futures Trading Software
DaytradingBias.com
Professional Trading Analytics
ECHOtrade
Professional Trading Firm
eSignal
Trading Software Provider
FXCM
Forex Trading Services
Global Futures
Futures, Options & FX Trading
Interactive Brokers
Pro Gateway to World Markets
JC Trading Group
Direct Access Trading
MB Trading
Direct Access Trading
MultiCharts
Trading Software Provider
NinjaTrader
Trading Software Provider
OANDA
Currency Trading
optionshouse
Option Trading & Education
Rithmic
Futures Trade Execution Platform
SpeedTrader
Direct Access Trading
SpreadProfessor
Spread Trading Instruction
thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
Direct Access TradingAdvertisement
TradersStudio
System Building & Backtesting
Trading Technologies
Trading Software Provider
Trend Following
Trading Systems Provider