FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Tools of the Trade > Trading Software > QuoteTracker To Be Finished End of 2011

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
garbar

Just got word from the company QT is toast as of end of 2011.

"Unfortunately, QT will be drawn down by the end of 2011 as TD AMERITRADE looks to consolidate its resources towards other platforms and projects."

It's gonna die.

Anyone want to buy it and keep it alive? Jerry should buy it back and make more money with it again.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #2
intradaybill

The trading software market is dead. I have a friend who was trying to raise for a while some money for a project. Not even a dime. You can get 10 Million if you propose a new add-on for facebook or some social network. Nothing for trading. Most platforms provide most of the tools traders need. There is no need for anything else except maybe some AI or data mining. More importantly I think, there are not many traders around. What you see according to the research of my friend are people trading mini-lots and 2K accounts in stocks and futures.

I purchased years ago a license of Tradestation for real-time for maybe about 2K. I thought at that time 2K was a reasonable price for what the program did. Now I think 2K is a lot of money for anything. This is after about 16 years.

Have we all gotten much poorer? Has money lost its purchasing power while earnings have fallen?

Too bad for QT.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Trader KGB

Quote:
Quote from intradaybill:

More importantly I think, there are not many traders around. What you see according to the research of my friend are people trading mini-lots and 2K accounts in stocks and futures.
Across just the US market? And did that research account for all equity traders?
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #4
intradaybill

Quote:
Quote from Trader KGB:

Across just the US market? And did that research account for all equity traders?
Equity traders have been hit hard in the last couple of years by HFT robots and low real liquidity. Most traditional traders who started with futures, like me for example, have grown older and have become more risk averse. They understand the risks better. There is no new inflow of young traders because younger people are smarter nowadays and understand better the risk/reward profile of the markets. More importantly, Generation Y has no money to spend for trading, they spend everything in gadgets and good time. they have no time to trade because they spend a good part of the day in facebook and twitter. I think these are the major factors that force more software companies to stop development. There is no growth.

IMO, systems like facebook and the likes make young people to become inert and live in a virtual world. In other parts of the world, unlike in the US, young people work hard in real production, producing real goods.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #5
LeeD

Quote:
Quote from intradaybill:

The trading software market is dead. I have a friend who was trying to raise for a while some money for a project. Not even a dime. You can get 10 Million if you propose a new add-on for facebook or some social network. Nothing for trading.
Trading software is a saturated market now. With Tradestation still kicking and NinjaTrader and X-Trader and dozens of others you need to have a very strong unique selling point to have a chance. Making "retail" trading software is like trying to compete with facebook itself (and myspace, and linkedin) or with microsoft office (and openoffice). It's easier to have a "niche" idea, something no one else does, and build a small project with fast time to market. That's why facebook addon is an attractive proposition... and trading software isn't.

Quote:
Quote from intradaybill:

More importantly, Generation Y has no money to spend for trading, they spend everything in gadgets and good time. they have no time to trade because they spend a good part of the day in facebook and twitter.
and on this forum.

Quote:
Quote from intradaybill:

In other parts of the world, unlike in the US, young people work hard in real production, producing real goods.
Does tarding software fall into category of "real goods"?

Quote:
Quote from intradaybill:

IMO, systems like facebook and the likes make young people to become inert and live in a virtual world.
This a big topic. You should probably open a new thread if you want others to discuss it in-depth.

Facebook and the like by design serve 2 purposes:
1) A time sink (provides on-deman entertainmet)
2) Surrogate for meeting people in person
Further, there is a risk that a facebook user will finally meet friends in person and won't come back to facebook for a while. So, it's filled with addictive activities that require action literally every day. `Do you want to meet up for a coffee?' - ` I can't. I need to water my FarmVille plants.'
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #6
nltro

Quote:
Quote from garbar:

Just got word from the company QT is toast as of end of 2011.

"Unfortunately, QT will be drawn down by the end of 2011 as TD AMERITRADE looks to consolidate its resources towards other platforms and projects."

It's gonna die.

Anyone want to buy it and keep it alive? Jerry should buy it back and make more money with it again.
Well, hopefully it becomes an opensource project. Would be a superb move.