FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home
 
    Forums > Tools of the Trade > Hardware > anyone have solution to extend desktop into 2 monitors from vga split out of laptop?


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
OTCkrak
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,095
I need a temporary solution to connect 2 monitors out of my laptop(4g ram, windows 7 32bit, 256mb video ram).

right now, i have the laptop lid closed and the image appears cloned into the two monitors out of a vga splitter cable. I want to extend a single desktop into the two monitors. It appears windows does not detect the 2nd monitor?
    Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Scataphagos
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Quote from OTCkrak:

I need a temporary solution to connect 2 monitors out of my laptop(4g ram, windows 7 32bit, 256mb video ram).

right now, i have the laptop lid closed and the image appears cloned into the two monitors out of a vga splitter cable. I want to extend a single desktop into the two monitors. It appears windows does not detect the 2nd monitor?
A splitter only clones the primary monitor's image. To have Extended Desktop, you need 2 monitor ports. Most notebooks today have a monitor port on the back, usually VGA. You can connect an external monitor then Extend the display to that monitor along with the notebook screen... through Display/Properties/Settings
    Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
OTCkrak
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Quote from Scataphagos:

A splitter only clones the primary monitor's image. To have Extended Desktop, you need 2 monitor ports. With many notebooks today, they have a VGA port on the back where you can connect a monitor... then you can Extend the display to that monitor along with the notebook screen... through Display/Properties/Settings
my desktop has a DVI output and the splitter (1 DVI/1VGA) works perfectly with only a single video card into two monitors.. I'm assuming the analog VGA output is nferior in this regard
    Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Scataphagos
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Quote from OTCkrak:

my desktop has a DVI output and the splitter (1 DVI/1VGA) works perfectly with only a single video card into two monitors.. I'm assuming the analog VGA output is nferior in this regard
Getting extended desktop onto a desktop computer is no problem at all... notebooks can be different. The issue isn't "number of video cards"... it's "number of ports". ATI has a new card which will run 6 monitors.... but it costs plenty.

Some new desktop mobos have VGA, DVI, HDMI, and even Display Port..
    Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #5
Bolimomo
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Quote from OTCkrak:

my desktop has a DVI output and the splitter (1 DVI/1VGA) works perfectly with only a single video card into two monitors.. I'm assuming the analog VGA output is nferior in this regard
This does not seem to make sense to me. If a gadget is truly a "splitter", from its name it only splits out the same VGA (or perhaps DVI) signal from one set of cable into 2 sets of cables. The signal itself is the same. So the 2 monitors hooked up to this gadget would display the same image.

If you want monitor A and monitor B to display different parts of your Windows applications, you would need the hardware that supports 2 DVI or VGA ports.

If your laptop does not have an extra VGA/DVI port outlet, you can use one of the USB-DVI/VGA adapter. I use one to drive a third monitor from my laptop.
    Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6
stratman34
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 3
I use a Matrox DualHead2Go. It combines the monitors and presents them to windows as a single "large" monitor. It also has software that allows you to manipulate windows within each single monitor or the large combo monitor.

They work very well, and are not terribly expensive.
    Quote
 
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump



   Conduct Rules   Privacy Policy   Sitemap Copyright © 2014, Elite Trader. All rights reserved.   

WHILE YOU'RE HERE, TAKE A MINUTE TO VISIT SOME OF OUR SPONSORS:
Advantage Futures
Futures Trading & Clearing
Alpha 7 Trading Academy
Proprietary Trading Education
AMP Global Clearing
Futures and FX Trading
Bright Trading
Professional Equities Trading
CTS
Futures Trading Software
DaytradingBias.com
Professional Trading Analytics
ECHOtrade
Professional Trading Firm
eSignal
Trading Software Provider
FXCM
Forex Trading Services
Global Futures
Futures, Options & FX Trading
Interactive Brokers
Pro Gateway to World Markets
JC Trading Group
Direct Access Trading
MB Trading
Direct Access Trading
MultiCharts
Trading Software Provider
NinjaTrader
Trading Software Provider
OANDA
Currency Trading
optionshouse
Option Trading & Education
Rithmic
Futures Trade Execution Platform
SpeedTrader
Direct Access Trading
SpreadProfessor
Spread Trading Instruction
thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
Direct Access TradingAdvertisement
TradersStudio
System Building & Backtesting
Trading Technologies
Trading Software Provider
Trend Following
Trading Systems Provider