FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Technical Analysis > The ACD Method

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
sbrowne126

Purchased, read and have traded this method developed by Mark B. Fisher from his book titled: The Logical Trader: Applying a Method to the Madness.
It made since to me which is why I use it to trade with. Wasn't very successful though, but I believe this is due to several factors: (1) my broker - not having the time to trade the way the method is suppose to; (2) I think he has too many accounts to follow, (3) he was more interested in trading the ES market and I tend to follow the grains.
Any body else use it or know of it? Successful or not? Thoughts about the method?
I'm thinking I might have better result if I make my own trading decisions and begin trading online.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #2
cunparis

I don't see how this could work with a broker. You pretty much have to watch it, I don't see how someone could do that while maintaining other accounts.

Get yourself an account at IB and paper trade it for a month and see how you do.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
sbrowne126

cunparis
Thanks for your reply.
I have been trading the method on paper for two years and have about a 70% success rate (100% is better of course, but no method is 100% successful every day) with it. So when I went to trade it live through a brokerage firm I noticed that the IB that the brokerage firm introduced me to wasn't achieving the same level of success as I had been achieving trading on paper on my own. As a result my trading account funds now is extremely low and have halted trading all together while I regroup.
I looked up IB on the internet, and I don't have the account minimum to open an account due to the above, so I am sort of stuck on that front.
I believe the method works, but since I work full time I don't have the time to watch and trade as the method requires, again sort of stuck there too.
Thoughts, ideas and suggestions are always appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
dirkd

ACD is my favorite, i have been using it for the last 10 months. It takes awhile to get used to it and understand all the layers that fisher talks about. However it is by far the best trading method i have come across. ACD works better if you use it on the markets that fishers firm uses it on. However one thing i noticed is that when the signals occur you have to take them and follow the method to a t. I have read the book at least 5 times and learn something new everytime. The thing is that you have to learn 1 thing completely and then go after the next and so forth. It is built upon layers and to understand all the layers does take some time. plan at least 6 months to get good at it.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5
SethArb

does anyone or would anyone care to discuss the order flow

and slippage that the followers of this method cause

on a daily basis with their nonsense ?

( of course it is not nonsense but if blindly following the method causes price to run amok like then the only way to fade it is using this )

www.scenta.co.uk/_db/_images/green_shoots140.jpg

and to enlist the powers of this gentleman who does not like to see retail specs get creamed by the funds using OPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C8d...eature=related

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #6
cunparis

Quote:
Quote from dirkd:

ACD is my favorite, i have been using it for the last 10 months. It takes awhile to get used to it and understand all the layers that fisher talks about.
Hi Dirkd, thanks for sharing your experience with ACD. It's good to get a confirmation from someone using it.

I just finished the book and there are a lot of layers. I wrote a simple indicator to plot the ACD values on my chart. If you're trading CL, would you mind sharing your current opening range timeframe and A &C values? I'm not sure if I should use what's in the book or use a multiple of the average range.

I've done a bit of backtesting on just buying on the AUp and Good AUp. It's close to breakeven. I'm using a 5 minute OR and I'm wondering if there is a better value so I plan to test this. I'm thinking one needs to add all the layers in order to be profitable. I didn't expect buying on AUp to be profitable I was just curious what the results would be. I learned a bit from studying the past trades.