FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Trading for a Living > Journals > Mr Subliminal's Remote Trading Journal

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:40 AM   #1
Mr Subliminal

I've been lurking on this forum for some time and have decided to start a thread describing various aspects of life as a remote trader (slacker). If you want to hone your trading skills (big drawdown), this is not the place - there are many fine threads here on ET for that purpose. If, however, you seek some relief from the stresses of the trading day, then drop by and learn how I prepare myself for daily battle (plug in Linksys router), get details of some trades with commentary and, if I'm still conscious, be rewarded with a hard-hitting postmortem afterwards (fist through monitor). The emphasis will be on honesty, with my inner thoughts expressed in parenthesized red - my style, for those that remember, is based on Kevin Nealon's Saturday Night Live character "Mr Subliminal".
I have paid my learning dues (Ferrari, Xanax 1mg) and my trading is now on a new level (slow bleeding, Xanax 0.25mg). Well, enough about me - I'm sure you'll get to know me better with time (www.amw.com).
Oh, and if the color red is too harsh on the eyes, let me know.
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Mr Subliminal

Monday mornings are always the hardest as I barely pull myself out of bed (restraints). Then it's a cup of hot instant coffee as I scan a pile of newspapers, sadly most of them from last week. The sound of a hysterical 14 year old, whose voice is breaking, jolts me from my semi-comatose state, and I look up to see Jim Cramer on CNBC. All the futures are up so I mentally rehearse my Island buy on bid hotkeys and my flash size routine ((1) 5000 shares, 3 full points below inside bid; (2) cancel; (3) go to (1)), the latter to be used once I've fully scaled into my position (400 shares).
The coffee is starting to kick in as I stagger over to my work area (terrace), flick the switch on the old Compaq Presario and Linksys BEFSR41, fire up my DAT s/w (Watcher clone), graphics (NexTrend) and news service (Yahoo!Finance), calibrate my mounted telescope pointing at the apartment opposite (midday doldrums), and await the opening of the games.
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #3
blink

looks like all the bad crap has overflowed the "news" toilet.
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:51 AM   #4
blink

LONG SBC $31.20

target - somewhere above $32 - wait 3-5 days

stop - today's low
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #5
Fitz

Quote:
[i]calibrate my mounted telescope pointing at the apartment opposite (midday doldrums).....[/B]

We are in the chop; what is on the telescope?
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #6
Mr Subliminal

Not a bad morning with my stocks in the software sector showing strength. Two quick trades in SEBL and my P&L is now two digits, an admirable feat yet clearly no threat of numeric overflow to the software designers. Obviously the areas I need to work on are holding on and size (Dr. Ruth). As I talk I ruefully glance at the 40 cent move I missed in PSFT.
Fitz, you ask about the telescope. There's still plenty to keep me occupied. Larry Glasscock, CEO of Anthem (ATH) was just on CNBC discussing the proposed bid for Trigon Healthcare. I have a strong feeling he won't be changing the name of the merged entity.