FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Main > Trading > Scalping and Analysing your trades

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1
douwe

When trading I have approximately 8-10 trades a day. I write down every trade and when I close the position I make a jpg of the chart. after the market closes I will print the chart and write down Entry, initial Stop, Trailing stop etc for analysing purposes

But how do you analyse when scalping, you go in and out and I have read that some of them have more then 100 trades a day.

Do you analyse every trade, or only when you have a losing day, how do you keep track of your performance (exporting to MS Excel for example), etc. I would appreciate some feedback on this matter.

douwe
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
kjkent1

Quote:
Quote from douwe:

When trading I have approximately 8-10 trades a day. I write down every trade and when I close the position I make a jpg of the chart. after the market closes I will print the chart and write down Entry, initial Stop, Trailing stop etc for analysing purposes

But how do you analyse when scalping, you go in and out and I have read that some of them have more then 100 trades a day.

Do you analyse every trade, or only when you have a losing day, how do you keep track of your performance (exporting to MS Excel for example), etc. I would appreciate some feedback on this matter.

douwe
My experience is that if I'm trading more than 20x a day, I'm usually focused on one security and there's no time to analyze anything. It's all about momentum, finding a liquidity block, and/or making the spread. Either I guess right and win or I guess wrong and lose.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM   #3
FredBloggs

1/ do what works and makes sense for you
2/ what others do may not be right for you
3/ scalping tends to be based around market prints more than ta & charts.
4/ good trading & keep your discipline
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM   #4
hoodooman

I use to have an edge where I would trade up to 200 times in a day. It was easy because I used the same strategy over and over again. No analysis was necessary. Every time that I saw the trade, I took it.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM   #5
TRADERguy

Check and see if your trading platform has software to analyze your trades. TT's X-Trader has this feature. It can tell you things like your average time in a trade for both your winners and losers, and your average gain/loss, etc.

Cheers,

TRADERguy
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM   #6
FuturesTrader71

For such few fills, you can just create a spreadsheet. I will try to post a recent analysis from the office tomorrow, so you can have an idea of what I look at for scalpers.

I would caution you against trying to scalp and analyze every trade at the same time. Scalping requires a flow and you can't have that if you are scrutinizing every trade rather than paying attention to the market.