FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Automated Trading > Are you smarter than a top M.I.T. Grad?

Old May 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
zx12

After being quiet for years, I figure I would do a public service and maybe save people some money! Unless someone out there is the next Einstein, trying to have a fully automated profitable system is NOT going to happen!! I will tell you why.

Every year the brokers go to the university of Chicago, Northwestern University, M.I.T., etc. etc. and offer the top math, physics & IT people UNGODLY amounts of money to come up with a profitable system, and to date it hasn't been done!! I'm not talking HFT programs here, where speed & volume is the main trick. Which is very difficult in itself!

So, if the very best minds in the world have tried & can't do it. Why do so many people think they can?? Seriously, it was 10 times easier to build the first atomic bomb!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
hippie

lol.

Automation works great for those who want to spend the trading day at the beach instead watching the screen missing trades!

Computers never miss a trade!
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #3
trackstar

Quote:
Quote from zx12:

After being quiet for years, I figure I would do a public service and maybe save people some money! Unless someone out there is the next Einstein, trying to have a fully automated profitable system is NOT going to happen!! I will tell you why.

Every year the brokers go to the university of Chicago, Northwestern University, M.I.T., etc. etc. and offer the top math, physics & IT people UNGODLY amounts of money to come up with a profitable system, and to date it hasn't been done!! I'm not talking HFT programs here, where speed & volume is the main trick. Which is very difficult in itself!

So, if the very best minds in the world have tried & can't do it. Why do so many people think they can?? Seriously, it was 10 times easier to build the first atomic bomb!!
Since you have been around since 2006 you should know about funds like Winton, Transtrend, Abraham, Cheasapeake, etc. These are systematic programs managing in the billions.

Your bomb analogy is quite random and absurd.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #4
jprad

Quote:
Quote from zx12:

So, if the very best minds in the world have tried & can't do it. Why do so many people think they can?
You might want to contact the following M.I.T. grad and tell him to give up trying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_Simons
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
zx12

Quote:
Quote from trackstar:

Your bomb analogy is quite random and absurd.
LOL, of course that was a exaggeration! But the point is, the average Joe has as much chance as winning the lottery!
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #6
zx12

Quote:
Quote from jprad:

You might want to contact the following M.I.T. grad and tell him to give up trying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_Simons
A great example of what I'm talking about!! He's one of the best there is, and still working on it! So how is a regular guy, going to do it?? He has made a good buck trying to get it though! Close but no cigar!