FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Community Lounge > Politics & Religion > U.S. Economic Recovery Is Weakest Since World War II

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
PHOENIX TRADING

Quote:
Quote from Mav88:

Easy? we are both just sitting here chatting, quite easy for you old chap as well

It would have been very quick, the entire ARPAnet was designed and built in 9 months after many years of various folks thinking it would be a good idea. It was the result of some scientists simply wanting to share computing resources, that's all. Nobody at the time was jumping up and down about some profound new invention, it would have been done by the next group of people who wanted to do the same thing.

Consider the following, I'll list the internet alonside what I think are the greatest non medical technological (I mean life changing and economically important) inventions since 1900. Alongside I'll put whether government or government funding was responsible for the invention.

1. The Airplane No
2. Transisitor No
3. Computer No
4. Personal Computer No
5. Air conditioner No
6. Laser No/Yes theory was from professors, built privately
7. Wireless Radio No
8. Integrated Circuit No
9. Nuclear Power Yes
10 Television No
11. Cellular Phone No
12. Liquid Crystal Display No
13. Jet engine No
14. DVD No
15. Video game No
16. DVR/VCR No
17. Camcorder No
18. Calculator No
19. Vacuum Cleaner No
20. Credit Card No
21. Internet Yes
obama head chia pet :yes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama.jpg (3.8 KB, 54 views)
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #26
rew

Quote:
Quote from Lucrum:

I thought Al Gore invented the internet.

That's what he says anyway.
Al Gore never said that, although conservatives will continue to take cheap shots at Gore for what he didn't say.

Al Gore said (and this is not a quote, but a paraphrase) that he voted to fund the development of the internet (with your tax dollars, of course). Now, me, I don't object to the government spending money on basic research and on developing new state of the art technology. (Funding a solar power company in a very competitive already existing industry doesn't qualify.) But only a tiny percentage of the government's massive budget is spent on such things. Most of the budget goes for transfer payments, defense (including the new behemoth, the Department of Homeland Security), and interest on the national debt. None of that spending is going to move the economy forward.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #27
Mav88

Quote:
Quote from rew:

Al Gore never said that, although conservatives will continue to take cheap shots at Gore for what he didn't say.

Al Gore said (and this is not a quote, but a paraphrase) that he voted to fund the development of the internet (with your tax dollars, of course). Now, me, I don't object to the government spending money on basic research and on developing new state of the art technology. (Funding a solar power company in a very competitive already existing industry doesn't qualify.) But only a tiny percentage of the government's massive budget is spent on such things. Most of the budget goes for transfer payments, defense (including the new behemoth, the Department of Homeland Security), and interest on the national debt. None of that spending is going to move the economy forward.
yeah but... did Al ever not vote for any spending?

and it is a dubious claim anyway, there was never a line item that said 'future internet' which congress debated, there was only a top line vote for ARPA. Congressmen don't go that level of detail usually unless it is pork
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #28
jem

Quote:
Quote from rew:

bull shit I heard him say it when he was campaigning and nearly fell off my chair.

oh guess what here it is...

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Lucrum

Quote:
Quote from rew:

Al Gore said (and this is not a quote, but a paraphrase) that he voted to fund the development of the internet (with your tax dollars, of course)...
Actually he said he "created" the internet. Which of course he did not.

He did however play a major role in "creating" man made global warming.
So at least he's got that going for him, I guess.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #30
rew

Quote:
Quote from Lucrum:

Actually he said he "created" the internet. Which of course he did not.

He did however play a major role in "creating" man made global warming.
So at least he's got that going for him, I guess.
Gore said he, "took the initiative in creating the internet". When a politician says that everybody understands that he means that he voted to spend public money funding its development. Nobody hearing that would think that Al Gore programmed up the internet in his secret underground laboratory.