FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Programming > Where do I hire a programmer to create or help me set up a system for analysis?

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Laissez Faire

Hello all,

I am a programming illiterate and I need help to create either a custom application or set up a system using publicly available software. I believe that what I want to do can be done with Excel VBA. It is a matter of statistical analysis and modeling.

As it were, I already hired a programmer from Guru to complete this project for me, but he was not able to finish it in time and I don`t think he would have been able to complete it anyway judging from the samples he sent me.

I consider using Guru one more time, as several of the other bidders seemed to be well qualified, so perhaps my error was simply in choosing the wrong programmer.

Are there any other resources where I can find a good programmer who understands statistical analysis and financial markets? Not a requirement, but it may be an advantage.

Thanks in advance,

Laissez Faire
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
JuniorCTA

www.monster.com

www.craigslist.com -> post a job in computer programming section

www.automatedtrader.net

depending on scope of the project. )and if its on a consulting basis or employment basis) It can get expensive
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #3
ghostrider77

you can go to http://www.activequant.org and figure out a deal with them. it all depends on the work that you have done already.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4
naifwonder

Here are two key questions to ask a programmer for how they approach programming both in and out of the financial sector:

1) Are you familiar with object-oriented programming, and do you use it frequently?
2) What error testing methodologies do you use?

These are very basic questions, but it filters out a lot of people. For question 1, the person should answer yes. If they say no, it should be for performance reasons, or because the scope of the project does not require it. For question 2, you want a person to definitely mention unit testing and debugging the software through trial and error. Once again, these are basic things for a good programmer. If you want, contact me regarding any programmers you are considering, and I'll give you a hand evaluating them as time permits. I have a programming background myself, and I interview and hire other programmers fairly often for work, so this is something I am familiar with.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #5
tradelink

odesk.com
vworker.com (formerly rentacoder)
craigslist.org
community.tradelink.org
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
2rosy

whats your project? it probsbly doesnt need a programmer and there is already something available