FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Technically Speaking > Programming > Custom Trading Platform

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #19
naifwonder

Hey guys, I can in someway understand the jump on Ghostrider, but he is asking perfectly valid questions. I'm the CTO for my company, and I've learned through numerous discussions during the software development cycle that different people approach the feedback process in very different ways. I appreciate everyone's involvement in the discussion, but let's keep things focused on exchanging ideas on platforms, and not ideas regarding each other.

Quote:
Quote from ghostrider77:

@naifwonder

so, in terms of reporting, what are your requirements?
for example, do you want interest charges applied to forex positions?

do you want to have a report split by currency of your traded assets?

what do you look for?

cheers
As for your question regarding interest on forex positions, I do have a module that can handle calculating account data based on positions. However, I am not trading forex right now or in the forseeable future, so this is not something I have focused on building further. I am considering going diversifying into assets in other currencies, but analyzing the currency relationships between positions adds a layer of computational complexity that I do not want to tackle until I have first further developed the more basic parts of the project.

Also, you had asked before why I did not use readily-available open-source solutions out there. My platform does use several open-source technologies for different parts. In terms of not using a complete open-source platform, in part it was because I really didn't like the open-source solutions. amazingIndustry mentioned the quality of the code; Open-source software does not inherently go through the type of stringent error testing that enterprise-level software requires. This certainly isn't always the case, but I did not find any open-source projects that had the right combination of testing and features. Also, many of them were abandoned projects. In addition, building the platform itself was a very educational process for me, and one that has contributed greatly to my knowledge base. That in itself made building the platform very rewarding. Lastly, because of the features of the platform, I did want the option to one day potentially lease out this software if it works well. Many open-source solutions have licensing requirements that would prohibit me from doing so. In an ideal world, I'd just make profits from the systems I build on the platform itself. But, if you can't find gold, have a damn good shovel you can sell to cover the costs of trying.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Kevin Schmit

Quote:
Quote from naifwonder:

...analyzing the currency relationships between positions adds a layer of computational complexity that I do not want to tackle until I have first further developed the more basic parts of the project.
This is a mistake. Build it in from the start. Adding it later can be a nightmare if you haven't designed your architecture for it from the beginning.

Every security is a pair: SPY/USD for example. Ricardo on his deathbed acknowledged this fact to Malthus, and it has been common knowlege ever since. You need a numeraire for every security, you limit yourself if you just assume it your account base CCY.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #21
naifwonder

Quote:
Quote from Kevin Schmit:

This is a mistake. Build it in from the start. Adding it later can be a nightmare if you haven't designed your architecture for it from the beginning.

Every security is a pair: SPY/USD for example. Ricardo on his deathbed acknowledged this fact to Malthus, and it has been common knowlege ever since. You need a numeraire for every security, you limit yourself if you just assume it your account base CCY.
I think I misstated myself. The platform is extremely modular, and the layer is, in some sense, already there. However, actually implementing a system utilizing multiple instruments factoring in currency-variable relationships requires a level of mathematical analysis that would employee aspects of the platform that need more stringent testing. For instance, I want to be sure that the back-test analysis, order-logging, and position management systems are more strictly tested with less complex systems before going into more advanced projects. Error testing the platform in use-case scenarios with more complex logic makes the error testing process itself more complex then is ideal at the moment. In terms of scalability and robustness, there is very little I can't just "plug" into the platform.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #22
syswizard

Quote:
Quote from ghostrider77:

I wonder, why did you write your own platform for this?

Thanks
Unless it is highly specialized (options, baskets, pairs-trading) and thus requires special features, it is a foolish endeavor to create this very complex piece of software.
Tradestation failed once doing it...however, their new platform is darn good as is Multicharts which just rolled out a new version.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #23
syswizard

Quote:
Quote from Kevin Schmit:

Oh I agree with this wholeheartedly. Always put every function and feature "on the design table" BEFORE WRITING A SINGLE LINE OF CODE.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #24
naifwonder

Quote:
Quote from syswizard:

Unless it is highly specialized (options, baskets, pairs-trading) and thus requires special features, it is a foolish endeavor to create this very complex piece of software.
Tradestation failed once doing it...however, their new platform is darn good as is Multicharts which just rolled out a new version.
The types of strategies I am programming are far beyond the scope of what any retail platform I've mentioned can handle. Some of the things you've mentioned I am using. One part of one of my systems would take around 20 days to run a back-test on if I used a traditional retail platform. My platform churns out the results in less than 7 minutes. Believe me, if I could have, I would have used a normal platform, but it was just wasn't the right tool for the job.