FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Main > Wall St. News > What Does It Take to Feel Wealthy?

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM   #31
TheBlackHand

I wonder if I'll get there piking ticks in the ES?

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Eight

Wealth would be feeling the Hawaiian afternoon breeze right about now, contemplating a few days of sailing.. drinking herb-laced coffee, the recipe of which I've worked on for years.. I'd have my French Canadian lady at my side, helping me consume coffee and plan the sailing.. She's an interior designer and painter, an incredible asset to everything I do, supportive, loving. More wealth, at that point, could not make me happier. [everything is in place except for the Hawaii thingy. Gotta work on that...]
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #33
Traveler

Quote:
Quote from Ash1972:

What I hate about commercial air travel is the way it has descended over the last 20 years from a somewhat 'glamorous' experience to something that needs to be endured. Low cost airlines have been at the forefront of herding people rather than respecting them, but the major carriers have followed suit in no time.

That experience is still very much there for international F. And it's very accessible to normal people if you're good at accumulating miles/points for cheap. And domestic F is very much like economy from the glory days.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #34
Mayhem

Quote:
Quote from Ash1972:

Absolutely. Private jet travel is the only important thing that the rich can do that the upper middle classes cannot....

BTW I don't think you need as much as $80m to partake in private jet travel. Definitely worth looking into fractional ownership schemes.
I want a Gulfstream:

and being "wealthy" means I don't want to share it with anyone.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Mayhem

Quote:
Quote from Eight:

Wealth would be feeling the Hawaiian afternoon breeze right about now, contemplating a few days of sailing.. drinking herb-laced coffee, the recipe of which I've worked on for years.. I'd have my French Canadian lady at my side, helping me consume coffee and plan the sailing.. She's an interior designer and painter, an incredible asset to everything I do, supportive, loving. More wealth, at that point, could not make me happier. [everything is in place except for the Hawaii thingy. Gotta work on that...]
Eh, I got a friend who lives ocean-front on Maui, and other than keeping his hair in check, he barely works. I don't know if his lady is French Canadian, or just French, but she has a beach body and the brains to hook up with a rich guy with beachfront property on Maui.

Anyway, he gets all excited and misty-eyed about going to NYC every year around Thanksgiving and hitting the museums and smelling the crisp Autumn air. And when he does go to NY, he has to put up with the same line up and take your shoes off routine and then deal with the portly, old-hag, over-it flight attendants on Delta like the rest of us. So, in my book, the guy is rich, but not truly wealthy.

True wealth = large estate on Hawaii (if that's your thing), a Gulfstream, and the staff to be able to say: "Jeeves, pack my bags and book a suite. I want sushi tonight, so Tokyo it is. Call the flight crew and tell the pilots our itinerary. I am going for a dip in the pool and then a swim in the ocean, so please have everything ready to go so we can get out this afternoon. Thanks, Jeeves."
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #36
NoBias

Good Health, loving family and reliable friends...

Everything else is secondary