FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home
 
    Forums > Technically Speaking > Strategy (System) Design > Which strategies work, and which don't


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #31
SteveNYC
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 895
Quote:
Quote from failed_trad3r:

wait, do you daytrade?

yeah, do you day trade?
    Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #32
SteveNYC
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 895
Quote:
Quote from jcl:

Highpass, lowpass, and bandpass filters. This is the lite-C code for a simple second degree lowpass filter:

Code:
var smoothF(int period) { return 2./(period+1); }

var LowPass(var *Data, int Period)
{
	var *LP = series(*Data,3);
	var a = smoothF(Period);
	var a2 = a*a;
	return LP[0] = (a-a2/4)*Data[0]
		+ 0.5*a2*Data[1]
		- (a-0.75*a2)*Data[2]
		+ 2*(1.-a)*LP[1]
		- (1.-a)*(1.-a)*LP[2];
}
This is no moving average. MA crossing strategies are normally not profitable because of lag.

Using such filters in trade strategies is described on a website to which I can't post a link here out of consideration for the sponsors of this forum. I already got chastised by a moderator for posting too much info.

Do you have a screen shot of this filter?
    Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #33
jcl
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: http://dictionary.of-the-infinite.com
Posts: 407
SteveNYC: A chart of a lowpass filter was posted here some months ago, look for a thread titled like "extremely simple profitable strategies" or similar. And no, I do not day trade. My computer does.
    Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #34
ssrrkk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 440
Quote:
Quote from jcl:


This is no moving average. MA crossing strategies are normally not profitable because of lag.
You mean second or higher order filters work, I guess. First order low pass = exponential moving average. So you are saying that going from first order to second order filters makes an unprofitable system become profitable. I suppose it's plausible, but I still haven't had the chance to check.
    Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #35
jcl
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: http://dictionary.of-the-infinite.com
Posts: 407
Quote:
Quote from ssrrkk:

So you are saying that going from first order to second order filters makes an unprofitable system become profitable. I suppose it's plausible, but I still haven't had the chance to check.
If a system is profitable depends on many factors, not alone on the filter. But it's certainly easier to write a profitable system with a second order filter, than with an EMA. The filter catches market changes earlier because it has far less lag. You can easily test this when you have a trade platform with a C style language - just replace the EMA with my code above.
    Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Mysteron
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 436
Quote:
Quote from jcl:

Highpass, lowpass, and bandpass filters. This is the lite-C code for a simple second degree lowpass filter:

Code:
var smoothF(int period) { return 2./(period+1); }

var LowPass(var *Data, int Period)
{
	var *LP = series(*Data,3);
	var a = smoothF(Period);
	var a2 = a*a;
	return LP[0] = (a-a2/4)*Data[0]
		+ 0.5*a2*Data[1]
		- (a-0.75*a2)*Data[2]
		+ 2*(1.-a)*LP[1]
		- (1.-a)*(1.-a)*LP[2];
}
This is no moving average. MA crossing strategies are normally not profitable because of lag.

Using such filters in trade strategies is described on a website to which I can't post a link here out of consideration for the sponsors of this forum. I already got chastised by a moderator for posting too much info.
This filter certainly has the characteristic frequency response of a low pass filter. Unfortunately the charting tools I use don't have the capability to evaluate it but I note it can be rewritten as:

EMA( EMA( (1/a-0.25)*Data[0]+0.24*Data[1]-(1/a-0.75)*Data[2] ))

where EMA is the standard EMA function.

Why not use the zero lag EMA which is first order and not as lagging as a standard EMA, although it isn't a low pass filter:

EMA( 2*Data[0]-Data[k] ) with k=1 or k=2
    Quote
 
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump



   Conduct Rules   Privacy Policy   Sitemap Copyright © 2014, Elite Trader. All rights reserved.   

WHILE YOU'RE HERE, TAKE A MINUTE TO VISIT SOME OF OUR SPONSORS:
Advantage Futures
Futures Trading & Clearing
Alpha 7 Trading Academy
Proprietary Trading Education
AMP Global Clearing
Futures and FX Trading
Bright Trading
Professional Equities Trading
CTS
Futures Trading Software
DaytradingBias.com
Professional Trading Analytics
ECHOtrade
Professional Trading Firm
eSignal
Trading Software Provider
FXCM
Forex Trading Services
Global Futures
Futures, Options & FX Trading
Interactive Brokers
Pro Gateway to World Markets
JC Trading Group
Direct Access Trading
MB Trading
Direct Access Trading
MultiCharts
Trading Software Provider
NinjaTrader
Trading Software Provider
OANDA
Currency Trading
optionshouse
Option Trading & Education
Rithmic
Futures Trade Execution Platform
SpeedTrader
Direct Access Trading
SpreadProfessor
Spread Trading Instruction
thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
Direct Access TradingAdvertisement
TradersStudio
System Building & Backtesting
Trading Technologies
Trading Software Provider
Trend Following
Trading Systems Provider