FORUMS BROKERS SOFTWARE
Home

Forums > Trading for a Living > Journals > Grinding it out, day after day

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1543
boba15

Quote:
Quote from lescor:

Nope. Not unless it was a good market environment with lots of volatility.
Speaking about volatility in this context, what do you mean exactly: presence of large price swings back and forth? Having increased number of people making illogical and ineffective decisions? Something else?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1544
austinp

Quote:
Quote from saxon22:

Since everybody is asking all kinds of questions, let me try my luck. Of all the traders that you know well enough to see that they are making in this business...
... how many of them spend part/most/all day posting trade calls, markets calls or detailed, in-depth trading tactics inside public message boards, twitter or any other social mediums open to everyone, free of charge, simply because they want to "help other traders"?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1545
lescor

Yeah, both of those things. And some more volume would be nice too.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1546
artfartdart

"In terms of routing, you likely have a lot more venues to choose from, but are they considerably faster than the limited routes offered by retail? I have the impression that the HFT guys are competing in the routes used by prop firms (BATS, ARCA, EDGA, EDGX, etc.) so extensively that it's difficult to get filled with those routes unless the market goes against the trader. Retail orders, on the other hand, are mixed in with the internalized order flow, a flow which HFT firms don't always have access to. Would a retail order then prevent me from being front run by HFT, or is that just a naive belief? And what's your most favourite route? (No need to answer this one if it's strategy sensitive.)"

I was under the impression retail was always routed to say, a Knight trading desk. Is this what you mean by internalized flow? Can you choose that your orders be routed to the exchanges under a "normal" retail account?

Speaking of which, do you know what your latency is in getting your orders to any of the exchanges? I remember reading you trade with Echo.. do they perform a risk check before sending your orders to the exchange?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1547
austinp

Quote:
Quote from austinp:

... how many of them spend part/most/all day posting trade calls, markets calls or detailed, in-depth trading tactics inside public message boards, twitter or any other social mediums open to everyone, free of charge, simply because they want to "help other traders"?
truthful answer: none. zero. ever
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1548
saxon22

Quote:
Quote from lescor:

Zero

Sounds very definitive. I respect the bluntness of it and honesty that comes with it.